MG steering rack

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 am

http://www.morrisminor.co.nz/id20.htm

Later models have 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. If they are the same, or can be used it would certainly help availability.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 am

Mal its my understanding that some of the minor racks are the same as the midget ones, and have been used for RHD conversions in the past.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:33 am

I seem to be coming up with more info saying they are the same. It's cheap enough to buy.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=V3ST ... &q&f=false

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:32 am

Well I bought it and it is not the same, too light. The guy I bought it off is a decent guy and swaped it for a Oxford rack. Just over 2.5 turns lock to lock. The mounting points are slightly wider than the Tigers.
If the mounts are the same as the midget rack I may ge able to use one of Deans kits. If not I will have to fab something. I did get the mounting blocks with it. I will post a pic.
Last edited by Mal on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 am

The same mounts as the midgets :?: or different.
Thanks Mal

Image[/img]

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Mal, I installed Dales kit a couple of years ago. Not sure if it is still available. His kit basically is a custom machined set of mounts that do not use the Midget mounts at all. It clamps on the big ears at each end of the rack and is wide enough to attach to the crossmember mounting brackets. You have to buy the required MGB steering arms separately. If you have not seen it, there is a great installation tech tip on the tigersunited.com web site I highly recommend. It is at http//www.tigersunited.com/techtips/PaulickAc ... erman1.asp and has some nice pictures. Cannot really see much of the mount part of the kit, but should give you a fairly good idea.

As for the Oxford rack being the same as the midget rack... I have an old worn out midget rack (perils of ebay purchases) still lying around. Some measurements for you: Center tube looks to be 12.5 inches between the big pieces on each end and about 1.366 inches thick where it meets those big ends. Those ears (thick rings) on the big part at the ends of center tube are between 0.255 inches thick and 0.238 inches thick. Not the most precision machining I have seen. The ears about 2.146 inches in outside diameter, and the section between them is about 1.906 inches thick. Hope that helps. Regards, Gene

garyv8tiger

mounts

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:05 am

dean mcgee still has the mount kits for sale i have them on my car ,

sbt 302 on the forum

gtsmrt

Re: mounts

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 am

garyv8tiger wrote:dean mcgee still has the mount kits for sale i have them on my car ,

sbt 302 on the forum
Hi Gary,

Do you know what they are worth?

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:47 pm

£220 for a kit with ajusters ,he posted earlier on this forum

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks Gary, I thought I had read that somewhere before.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:07 am

Gene, thanks for the measurements. I have measured the oxrord rack and they seem very similar.My tools for measuring are not extremly accurate. I hope my conversion to imperial is correct.
I suppose the other important measurement is the distance from the centre of the rack to the centre of the steering shaft spline.

Image[/img]
Last edited by Mal on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:09 am

Hi Mal, you are quite welcome. On the centre of rack tube to splined pinion shaft distance... I am unsure from the drawing if that is measured from the centre of the tube to the centre of tip of the shaft or to the centre of the shaft where it enters the rack body. If to the tip, I would agree with your 8.625 inches (or 219.1 mm at 25.4 mm per inch). If to where it enters the rack body, I get 8.375 inches. Cheers, Gene

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:29 am

Gene, the measurment is to the tip of the spline, so it is the same. That means it should allow the steering shaft to miss the water passage elbow. This rack sould be useable :)

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:05 am

Mal, so far so good as they say. An additional thing to check... Compare the splines "pitch" on the Oxford pinion shaft with the ones on the stock rack before you get too deep into the conversion process. Are they the same pitch (for lack of a better term)? Also compare the diameter of the splined end to the one on the stock rack.
I seem to have a bit of play in my steering wheel. I am thinking the splines in the female part of the lower steering U joint may be a bit different on my car compared to the splines on the pinion shaft. I am wondering if the splined pinion end may also be a bit smaller than the stock one. The cinch bolt is tight but it may be the bolt across the flat on the pinion shaft is what is griping the shaft more than the splines, in my case. Or maybe I just need a new Midget rack! Anyway, be sure you have a good match on yours. Cheers, Gene

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 am

Gene, photo of the splines. They are opposite in the short-long section where the bolt passes through. Apart from that they are a perfect fit. Nice and firm and still engages very near the maxiumum amount of spline in the steering shaft.

Image[/img]

If I were you I would be checking your splines. If they are too worn and the bolt is doing the work, then if the bolt wears ,YIKES