Cats Whiskers Online?

Post general questions relating to Tigers
martin172

Cats Whiskers Online?

Post by martin172 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I wondered if it would be possible to have full online access to back issues of The Cats Whiskers for club members.

Another club I am a member of do this and it is great to read the old articles and all of the technical tips etc.

With myself and many others being relative noobs, we won't get the chance to see this interesting stuff.

If the back issues are in some sort of software format, it shouldn't be too hard to do.
( Disclaimer. I am not a computer techy, so don't give me a hard time over this comment if it turns out to be complete nonsense.) :lol:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:49 pm

This is a very good point and of course with the www today accessing information immediately online certainly helps with looking after our pride and joys.

However, the pros and cons have always been debated but with the many benefits to do so, the most obvious disadvantage I could think of for the STOC is the loss of revenue to the club. CATS Whiskers does have many features and occasionally useful "tech tips" and back issues are indeed normally available when in print for a nominal charge.

Sure you have seen them but there are a few online atricles from the club mag on the website;

http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/magazine.htm

For those "online" surfers who are not members of the STOC, I would certainly recommend becoming members just for the club magazine alone :wink:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Ah, I didn't know that back issues were available.
In that case, as you say, revenue would be lost.

gvickery
Site Admin

Cats Whiskers

Post by gvickery » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Been meaning to catch up with this post.

First off. The Club only has digital copies of Cats Whiskers back to CW 56 (from when I became Editor). So scanning the backlog to No1 is all that is available to us. Second off. No 56 to No 75 is in MSWord format and that lot needs to be converted to pdf format. Third off. The Club would probably need to triple our database capaciity with our ISP to carry it all etc , etc. Way, way too many man days so I can but underline what Tony says.

We have also thought about providing an optional service for members to receive their current copy of Cats Whiskers digitally via email. But that too is tricky size wise, i.e. getting 50 pages down in size to fit into an email.

As a member once said - "Bottom line you can't read a digital copy in the bath".

Sometime though the whole bang lot should be archived digitally!

Graham
STOC Editor

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 pm

In that case, does anyone want to lend me the first 82 copies to scan? :lol:

lovejoy

Post by lovejoy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:05 pm

As a member once said - "Bottom line you can't read a digital copy in the bath " .....

well, you COULD, on an i-fone or i-pad !!

but I would prefer to read mine on my sunlounger under my favorite palm tree, the only problem being, they don't get here by post.........
(perhaps Graham, you could bring a few copies on your next visit ?) :lol:
ex 928 PP & OPD 134 D MK1's