How many Tiger's

Post general questions relating to Tigers
H, Sunny 65

How many Tiger's

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 am

Hi,
A friend asked me the other day, how many Tiger's are still in existence? and i had to say, I have no idea. I put a guess on about half the amount built, which is high for any car made in the sixties. Can any one put a proper figure on it?
Happy Tigering

gvickery
Site Admin

How Many Tigers Survive

Post by gvickery » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Norman Miller's "Tiger Registry" build count of 7085 Tigers is as close as you'll get. Norm reckons the present survivor count is 3896, around 54%. As you say not too bad for a 60's machine.

See the 'International Tiger Registry' via the Links page.

STOC believes the production total for the home market (HRO) was about 880 and at the last count we have information on about 570 of them BUT no where near that number are on the road.

Graham
STOC Editor

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Talking of survivors, here is a claimed to be Tiger for sale here in New Zealand. The original tags have been removed and has US based tags :? . Is that legit :?:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 755594.htm

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm

car is missing its transmission tunnel and other Tiger specifics like the braces in the engine bay
Quote from the advert.......walk away very quickly me thinks 8)

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 am

Id hazard a guess that the tags and "tiger specific" parts are on a car here in AU. There was a blue MKI for sale here about 2 years back.. imported from NZ after being imported there from the UK. Car was a rebody.. id say we found the doner.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:00 am

This is the car im reffering to:

http://www.classictiger.com/mudge/tac/tac1.htm
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:42 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =266943763

Here is the first listing of the car. There are a few questions and answers that may help shed some light. I don't understand what the US tags mean.

gvickery
Site Admin

How Many Tigers Survive

Post by gvickery » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Mal

The photos on the listing are poor but that could just be a Tiger boot. If as Michael is saying the ID of this machine fetched up on a conversion in Sydney then his question is difficult to answer i.e. why take Jensen specific fittings from it unless the body was completely toast back then. Wouldn't be the first time a rot box was exported from the UK.

If that's the case then we have a re-birth of something not worth saving 20 + years ago. Selling on with the ID of another vehicle is almost certainly illegal in every jurisdiction that matters. Besides, presumably there are no import papers for the US vehicle; only a couple of tags in an envelope. Importantly, who knows that these US ID elements are pukka and not themselves from a stolen Tiger, or from a unqualified write off?

Seems to me we need to know that US ID and if availbale the original UK registration number and a bunch of better pics.

Graham
STOC Editor

odl21

Post by odl21 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

i find the sellers argument that "it must be a real tiger because it's got none of the tiger parts" amusing :)

you've got to hand it to him for his paradoxical creativity.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 am

I rang the guy and talked to him. He dosn't know where the rebodied car has gone. The US tags are off a Tiger from the states, I forgot to ask if the numbers stamped in the firewall were still there or have they been cut out. If they have been, the car is toast. I talked with a certifier and if they ever see a car that has that number tampered with they contact the police.
It's a big no no. The US tags are of no use either as there is no history of the car being registered here in NZ with those numbers, and to be registered as a recent import you need to provide proof of purchase as well as all the shipping paper work to get the car here.
He does say it still has it's X frame. I think he has bought a headache at some stage and is now trying to find another mug.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:02 am

The trade me ad was changed to a parts car if you have a look, and then removed. But I found it again.
http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-f ... ger/533020

gvickery
Site Admin

NZ TIGER

Post by gvickery » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Just looked at the Trademe site, it is shown as sold to a 'Lewmartin' so I guess the deal wasn't completed. I see the new price is lifted to NZ$9,000 on Auto Trader but the listing carries the same selling particulars as before.

Incidentally UK manufacturers weren't required (in the 60's) to stamp the VIN# into steel. So the only physical ID on HRO Tigers is the chassis plate. However, exports to Europe during the production period did have their chassis numbers stamped into the rib beneath the scuttle. For example Alpine 260's destined for France were so stamped by Simca prior to shipment to French distributors. See www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/catswhiskers/CW68alpine260.htm I imagine NZ law requires imports to carry a hard stamping of the VIN# somewhere?

Graham
STOC Editor

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:28 am

Graham.

I did not realise that most Tigers didn't have the VIN# stamped to the body. My Tiger is a RRO and has the number stamped in the same place as the European Tigers. It also has the additional Tag in German, as that is where I imported it from. Does this aid in the car being verified ?.
I don't know when it was first registerd there, as the papers are in German. The earliest date on them is 1966 which could just be stating the year , the next is 1969. If from new, it seems a little unusual that a RHD car is imported to a LHD country when there were LHD models built. Perhaps a RHD car was the only one they could get.

I imagine NZ law requires imports to carry a hard stamping of the VIN# somewhere?
I don't think so. If there is one there it should not be tampered with or removed though. My car recieved an additional tag and VIN# as well. So now it's original #'s are recorded, and there along with the additional #.

When the Tiger was first listed on trade he did have a buyer and the deal never went ahead. On his secound listing someone asked if the first buyer got cold feet. His answer was the buyer could not get the money together. You are going to need a lot more money for that car than the initial purchace price. Cold feet I think.
Being a HRO car and never having the VIN# stamped to the body may mean that the car may be able to be reregistered. I was told by the certifier that best not to go there. Could be a major headache. He said a chassis can be rebodied but it all needs to be recorded at the time. I think anyone buying this car should do a lot of home work first.

Anyway it is a nice day today, so I might take the tiger out for a drive :D .

Mal.