Fan & Radiator

Post general questions relating to Tigers
odl21

Post by odl21 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 pm

V Mad wrote: Are you sure about that? It may sound like a common sense approach, but that doesnt not always work. You could also argue that although the coolant is not in the rad so long, it passes through more often so the disadvantage is cancelled by the advantage!!
yep. i'm speaking from the experience of my radiator and a high flow pump. it wasn't a problem but it ran hotter than a stock pump.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34 pm

A trick i learnt a while back is sometimes if its only a maginal decrease you are looking for in temps you can make the water run a little longer.. longer hoses so the water has more time out of the block.. not sure how you would do that on a tiger though. I did it on my alpine after modding it and worked a charm.. dropepd the 10deg C i wanted.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:48 am

The pumps you see on summit webb site all have a backing plate. Mine dosn't. Hopefully I can get a replacement and not have to replace the timing cover as well. Arrggggg

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:06 am

You could use the EDL 8842 this is a wet pump. (Without back plate) :)

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:06 am

Hi,

It has been a while since I have read the cooling article mentioned previously, but I thought that the stock water pumps didn't perform that badly? Are you replacing them due to not being able to find a stock pump or aiming at better flow?

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 am

Hi Robin.
I am replacing the water pump on the Tiger because I think the old one is on it's way out. It is not leaking but the bearings are very free and starting to be noisey. It is interesting to hear others opinions and experiances on the subject and it seems to me that each type of pump has it's advantages depending on the usage of the car. For a street driven car running at low rev's most of the time I don't think a high volume pump will be detrimental. If it is good for a Tiger :?: .
The pump I removed was an original Ford High flow and the pump I managed to get from the local speed shop. It is a high flow by the looks. Same amount of vaines as the original. It is made by, US motor works, and cost me $92.00nz :) . It looks nicely built and finished. I will see if they have anything about themselfs on the net and post it up.
Cheers Mal.

http://www.usmotorworks.com/

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:26 am

There has been an improvement with the fittment of the electric fan. Stops the temps rising to much when stationary or in slow traffic and they come down resonably quickly when you get moving. I have not seen the gauge go much over 100degC now and thats on 30degC weather :) . The gauge seems to be accurate as the fan comes on at 95c which matches the temp gauge.
The next trick is to be able to turn the heater off. Thats not nice being on in that heat. :(