Drag Racing 1/4 mile times

Post general questions relating to Tigers
JAYANDSHEL

Drag Racing 1/4 mile times

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Just come back this weekend from a trip to Santa Pod. Ran the Tiger down the 1/4 and was pleased with the times I ran. :D
The car is standard barring a 4 barrrel 390 cfm holley.
Running on old 185 x70x 13 tyres
2.88 gears with open diff

ran consistant 15.7 /15.8 @ 88mph roof up
and 16.2/ 16.3 @ 86mph roof and windows down

I thought this was good for std Tiger what do you all think? / what have you run with what combinations?

Jay

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:45 pm

That sounds like a really good effort running a standard car - did you have any overheating issues?

Something I've wanted to do with my Tiger but haven't got the bottle :lol: You'll have to let us know what is needed or if you need to prep the car beforehand :D

Some lad in the US has run 9:98 @ 139mph and 6:47 @ 111mph in the 1/8

See link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOG4ysT ... r_embedded[/url]

Just wondering if there would be any appetite for a STOC meet at Santa Pod next year with a "Run what u brung" session?? :P :P

michael-king

Re: Drag Racing 1/4 mile times

Post by michael-king » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:32 am

JAYANDSHEL wrote:Just come back this weekend from a trip to Santa Pod. Ran the Tiger down the 1/4 and was pleased with the times I ran. :D
The car is standard barring a 4 barrrel 390 cfm holley.
Running on old 185 x70x 13 tyres
2.88 gears with open diff

ran consistant 15.7 /15.8 @ 88mph roof up
and 16.2/ 16.3 @ 86mph roof and windows down

I thought this was good for std Tiger what do you all think? / what have you run with what combinations?

Jay
That not bad, are you running traction bars? Is the motor a 260 or is it a 289? What igntiion, headers?.. i know you said "stock" but that means different things to sifferent people :lol:
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

bigbob

drag racing

Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:29 am

We have had some Tiger drag meeting visits to Long Marston which were good fun. May be a cheaper alternative to Santa Pod. My Tiger ran 13.74 @105 in this years Brighton Speed trials on poor quality tarmac. That was handicapped by having above average mass in the drivers seat! 302, lightly supercharged, that wouldn't rev over 4000, hood down. Only preperation was lowering rear tyre pressures to 20psi. Aiming for low 12s when engine sorted & clutch replaced.

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 am

Michael
The engine is a 260 with a 1966 dual point distributor standard cast iron manifolds original air cleaner with a Kand N element ,I do not have Traction bars and yes if I launched to hard I have serious axle tramp.

Toni
A trip to the pod with the Tigers would be great and very easy to do. There are only a couple of things you need.

1 Driving licence

2 If running soft top wrist restraints are needed . This can be as simple as the belt off your jeans tied to the door handle as this is what a Cobra driver was doing. I used somthing like the shoulder strap off a couple of sports bags wrapped around the seat belt anchor points and used the adjuster to make a loop that my wrist slipped through one for each wrist. I think you would be ok with the hard top on.

3 The biggest and hardest thing we all need is the weather. Drag racing does not happen in the rain. If it rains the track has to be dried out before any car runs and I mean totally dry, they even use a big jet engine aimed down at the track. It would be hard to plan a group trip because if the day you planned to go was even threatening to rain it would not be worth it, as santa pod is a miserable place to be on a wet day and very frustrating on a day with showers.

4 Its not an expensive day, entry fees are £10 each and sign on fees are £20 for std rwyb. Long marsden (thats an old name, showing your age Bob)_now Avon Park raceway is about the same.

Ques can be quite long expect up to 2 hours for one run or on some days you can go round and round as many times as you like.

any other questions let me know?

Jay

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi Jay
Why do you have to tie your wrists to the door handle, doesn't that make driving a little tricky :)) ?
A day at a strip does sound good tho.
Harry

gtsmrt

Re: drag racing

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 am

bigbob wrote:We have had some Tiger drag meeting visits to Long Marston which were good fun. May be a cheaper alternative to Santa Pod. My Tiger ran 13.74 @105 in this years Brighton Speed trials on poor quality tarmac. That was handicapped by having above average mass in the drivers seat! 302, lightly supercharged, that wouldn't rev over 4000, hood down. Only preperation was lowering rear tyre pressures to 20psi. Aiming for low 12s when engine sorted & clutch replaced.
Hi Bob,

:lol: How do you lightly supercharge a 302? Very respectable time though.

Regards, Robin.
Last edited by gtsmrt on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

bigbob

Drag race

Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Lightly supercharged is when you cock up the pulley sizes & find you only have 3psi boost instead of planned 8psi!! Still enough to overheat & warp clutch. New smaller pulley, Spec stage 3 clutch, & tremec box going in now. Hopefully will be sorted at last for 2010.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:31 am

Big bob. I would be interested to know how much work is involved in fitting a Tremac. I have a TR 3550 sitting on my shed floor. It will probably find it's way into the Tiger when I restore the car.

Does anyone make a decent set of rear springs for these cars ?.

I have heard that CAL-Trac's are the best traction device to plant the power to the ground in leave spring cars. I even found plans to make your own on the net. I think I have the link on my computer if anyone is interested. From what I have heard they are not detramental in the handling department as well. But you would think there is some trade off.

Jay. I would think they are very respectable times for a stock Tiger.

Cheers Mal.

gtsmrt

Re: Drag race

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:54 am

bigbob wrote:Lightly supercharged is when you cock up the pulley sizes & find you only have 3psi boost instead of planned 8psi!! Still enough to overheat & warp clutch. New smaller pulley, Spec stage 3 clutch, & tremec box going in now. Hopefully will be sorted at last for 2010.
Thanks for the reply. Any chance of posting some pictures of your car?

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

bigbob

drag racing

Post by bigbob » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 am

For advice on fitting a Tremec check out the Tremec section on the forum. Some good links there.
I wish I could show photos, but being useless with computers the directions on how to upload photos mean nothing to me. I'll try & get another member to assist. Supercharger photos were in Cats Whiskers recently.

bigbob

drag racing

Post by bigbob » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:23 pm

This is why we have children. Some photos attached

gtsmrt

Re: drag racing

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 am

bigbob wrote:This is why we have children. Some photos attached

Thanks for the pictures Bob. You have squeezed it in there very nicely. What brand of supercharger is it? No one would ever know what is lurking under that bonnet 8) .

Regards, Robin
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a