hartwell tigers

Post general questions relating to Tigers
garyv8tiger

hartwell tigers

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun May 03, 2009 1:14 pm

i was talking to an old mechanic the other day .he new the story of the 7 tigers on the dockside ,he said that were he used to work at cowie kirbys in southport they converted a 289 tiger from lhd to rhd he also said it had minilites on .he was an apprentice at the time to young to drive but my grandad took him out in it ,my grandad also said it was the 1st car he did over 100 mph in.could this be one of the hartwells ,does anybody know were the conversions were done on them.

tgr747

Post by tgr747 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:17 pm

it is beleived that the hartwell tigers were converted from lhd to rhd at their garage in bournemouth,as for the other mk2 that was supposed to go to canada i do not think there is any way of finding out its chassis no.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon May 04, 2009 9:09 pm

i think the canadian one would have gone to canada lhd i wonder if another mk2 never got exported.hes was pretty sure they did a conversion.it wouldnt really make sense for a hartwell conversion to be done in southport,as were,nt the on the docks in southampton.

lovejoy

Post by lovejoy » Sat May 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi there, the SIX Mk2 Tigers at Southampton docks were purchased by Alan Hartwell, son of George Hartwell, in Holdenhurst Rd, Bournemouth, who were the local Rootes dealership at that time.

I knew Alan, as at the time, my first Tiger used to be serviced there.
Even bought a NEW Mk 2 eyebrow grill surround from them as mine had a dent which could not be removed, anyway, I digress !

The person who did the conversions was one Ray Payne, who did a lot of the tuning work on Team Hartwell cars. He unfortunately, is no longer with us, but his name lives on.
Alan kept one Mk 2 for his personal use, an orchid green one, after selling the rest via a Sunday Times ad, all in one day !!

For anyone who is in the area, two of Alan's sons run dealerships in the Ferndown area, Tim runs the Peugeot agency, and Simon, who I remember well, and always visit (he had a Morgan V8 back in my Tiger days, and now runs a C6 Corvette) :shock: has the Citroen agency. both locations are on the old A348 Ringwood Rd.
Simon's location is near "The Angel" Inn, for those who need a pint or two to go with the visit !
I am sure simon will be happy to divulge more info, if you pay him a vist !

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat May 09, 2009 6:28 pm

very interesting ,the car they converted apparantly came from liverpool docks and he descibed it as a metalic like green .he was sure it was a mk2.i wonder if its possible that another lhd didnt go overseas.or maybe it was imported back into the uk.he remembers it was definitly a 289
thanks for your input