MKI Engine Rebuild- 260, 289 or 302?

Post general questions relating to Tigers
NewMexTigre

MKI Engine Rebuild- 260, 289 or 302?

Post by NewMexTigre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey guys,

My dad and I will be rebuilding the engine on a '65 Tiger MkI that we've had for many years soon. We've been debating what we should do with the engine. My dad's friend thinks we should go with a 302. I'm more of the mind to keep it stock and just trick out the 260. If we do go with a bigger block, we would of course keep the 260 in storage in case anyone wanted to take it back to stock down the road.

The car doesn't need to be scary fast, it's fast enough already.

I know this is a subjective question, but what are your opinions and/or experiences? What would you do?

Cheers,
Gavin

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 am

Hi Gavin,

I'm not sure where you live, but a local club member here in Australia had quite a bit of a hunt to find an unmolested 289 block for his Tiger. 302's would be the easiest to find and there are some very nice crate motors available. If your 260 block is stock, I would definitely leave it alone and buy another block to work. If you don't want neck breaking power, just do a mild 302.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Re: MKI Engine Rebuild- 260, 289 or 302?

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 am

NewMexTigre wrote:it's fast enough already
Keep it stock, if you are happy with the performance as it stands why go through the additional expense. Maybe it's something you can do at a later date if you then feel the Tiger needs a bit more power.

If you do decide to change the powerplant then I would agree with Robin, don't even entertain looking for a 289 - trying to find a genuine clean 5 bolt 289 would be difficult, they are popular with the racing boys and thus fetch a premium. Get yourself a 302 and there are plenty of decent second hand ones, the Mustang boys trade them up for much larger units - usually for big blocks so there are plenty.

The main advantage of a 302 (apart from the immediate increase in power) is that can take and is able to accept a lot more modifications over a 260 or 289 unit. So you can throw a lot more money at customising a 302! Also, go with low end torque as opposed to a higher revving lots of BHP unit, the Tiger suits lots of bottom end torque.

Anyway, it always nice to see a standard stock car so personally if you do feel there is sufficient performance from the 260 then rebuild with a mild low end cam and the money (and don't forget space) you will save invest in a LSD unit for the rear axle. Tigers should have the left the factory stock with a limited slip diff!

Do let us know what you decide 8)

NewMexTigre wrote:experiences?
On that point, why not have the best of both worlds. just get two Tigers, one stock and the other for playing with - but you need a very understanding wife :roll:

Tony

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:15 pm

I rebuilt my 260, and it runs fine. This is the easiest route. It wasnt a planned rebuild, it started as a clutch replacement, but the rear oil seal had gone, so that meant a strip down anyway. I also did a bit of gas flowing (reducing the restriction in the exhaust manifold) and this has definitely upped the power.

If it had needed new pistons and a rebore I might have considered a 302 though but I would have had to change the bell housing to keep my original 5-bolt toploader tranny.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 am

V Mad wrote:I rebuilt my 260, and it runs fine. This is the easiest route. It wasnt a planned rebuild, it started as a clutch replacement, but the rear oil seal had gone, so that meant a strip down anyway. I also did a bit of gas flowing (reducing the restriction in the exhaust manifold) and this has definitely upped the power.

If it had needed new pistons and a rebore I might have considered a 302 though but I would have had to change the bell housing to keep my original 5-bolt toploader tranny.
Hi Chris,

Are you still using the original exhaust manifolds on your Tiger? How much material was removed during the gas flowing process?

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 pm

gtsmrt wrote:
V Mad wrote:I rebuilt my 260, and it runs fine. This is the easiest route. It wasnt a planned rebuild, it started as a clutch replacement, but the rear oil seal had gone, so that meant a strip down anyway. I also did a bit of gas flowing (reducing the restriction in the exhaust manifold) and this has definitely upped the power.

Hi Chris,

Are you still using the original exhaust manifolds on your Tiger? How much material was removed during the gas flowing process?

Thanks, Robin.
Yes I gas flowed the original iron manifolds. I was careful not to risk breaking through so I didnt remove too much metal.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk