Tiger 289, different then others?

Post general questions relating to Tigers
whisperer

Tiger 289, different then others?

Post by whisperer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:06 am

I am buying a 289 that was the original from a Tiger. I am wondering what is different then a standard Ford 289 of the same year? (1967 I beleive?). It is not a Hi-Po 271hp, but The only stuff I could find on the Tiger engine rated it at 200hp instead of the 186 for the standard Ford for the same year. Why?
Is there any documentation as far as engine numbers for a Tiger, or were the motors just picked out of Ford stock?

gvickery
Site Admin

Tiger 289

Post by gvickery » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Whisperer

Ford Inc supplied the Rootes Group with the 289 engine to an agreed performance specification. The 200 bhp (gross) rated engine was fitted to the MKII Tiger between very late '66 and June 67. All were delivered with unique engine numbers and these can be found on a 'Sunbeam Ltd' sticker on one of the valve covers. If that survives on the engine you have then post the numbers here - (the sticker also conveys some other Ford model and serial numbers). If this info isn't there then look for the engine / date code cast into the block adjacent to where the starter motor is fitted - you may have to drop the starter motor to see the casting number and date code.

STOC Editor

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:51 am

Hi,

The state of tune was very modest for the Tigers when you compare them to the Mustangs, etc which used the same engines. Ford also made a few changes to the 289 motors through its life relating to differing outputs. This is one area I don't understand considering Rootes wanted a high performance vehicle and they chose a two barrel carburettor.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 am

I thnk you will find rootes was after a GT vehicle that was relaxed and capable of low revving easy torquey motoring. It did not build a cobra competitor. The hottest factory tiger was the 245 bhp version and with the limits of stock suspension and handling that was probably more than enough
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA