Help needed on bolt sizes

Post general questions relating to Tigers
cdw666c

Help needed on bolt sizes

Post by cdw666c » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:49 pm

I am soon going to attempt installing my newly refurbished engine into my 4.2 Tiger. However, I do not know which bolts to use to connect it to the gearbox for starters, along with numerous other items. I have seen the boltlist supplied by Kirt Jenssen, but am not sure which bolts are unf and which are unc. Does anyone out there have a definitive bolt list with these details - the Alpine parts list seems to have those details, but the Tiger one does not !! Any advice would be much appreciated.

odl21

Post by odl21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm

pretty much all the engine bolts (ford) are coarse (UNC) and most of the sunbeam bolts are fine (UNF).

the gearbox->bellhousing bolts are no exception and are UNC. most tap/die sets come with a little thread gauge to hold against a thread and find out the TPI (threads per inch) hence indicating UNF or UNC.

with those bolts, you'd probably be fine with a normal bolt like those from www.namrick.co.uk and a lock washer but for bolts like crossmember and suspension bolts i'd recommend getting rolled thread high tensile bolts from a caterpillar (CAT) dealer. see my previous thread on UK vs US bolt standards, and apologies for the extended response - its a subject close to my heart :)