Wheel Studs

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Growler

Wheel Studs

Post by Growler » Fri May 30, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for extended wheel studs for the Tiger? The original ones aren't long enough for my alloy wheels to allow a minimum of 1 x diameter engagement with the wheel nuts.

All the 7/16 UNF studs I can find have a larger spline diameter than the Tiger ones and I'd rather not drill out the holes in the rear hubs. It doesn't seem a good idea to weaken the hub when it's got all that V8 torque going through it... :D

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers!

tgr747

Post by tgr747 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:41 pm

hi,as far as i am aware only the standard length are available as a direct replacement,the longer ones are for a ford,you will as you say have to drill the hub,you will also have to remove the hub from the halfshaft to fit them.

odl21

Post by odl21 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 am

i used some bolt on spacers with their own studs in them.

Growler

Post by Growler » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I've ended up using the Ford studs, 55mm long are right for my wheels and give plenty of thread engagement. You can get them from Demon Tweeks, Rally Design, Europa Spares etc.

For anyone else contemplating using these, you'll have to drill the hubs out to 1/2" diameter taking care to keep the holes parallel to the half-shaft axis. You don't want to end up with drunken studs!

I found that pressing the studs into the hubs took about 2 tonnes, so a press is a useful aid.

Cheers!