soft top

Post general questions relating to Tigers
ducasse

soft top

Post by ducasse » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:56 pm

we have recently purchased a tiger, which came with an unfitted soft top, the old top had been stripped off. we would appreciate any tips or hints that will enable us to fit it. :?

odl21

Post by odl21 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 pm

congratulations! how about some pictures and info?

you mean it doesn't fit the windows?

if so i'll get back to you on this this week. there are some good instructions somewhere on fitting a new top. mine had the same issue and i believe its common that they are fitted incorrectly. (although my new top is actually still sitting in a box waiting to be fitted). you may have to get a new top though and then reset the frame to fit the windows by using washers in the b pillar mount.

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Its not particularly difficult to fit the soft top, but usually with cars of this age, either the wndscreen frame rake, the side windows (height) or the soft top frame are not positioned correctly, so these need sorting out first. Make sure the frame joints are all working properly, especially at the fulcrum points; these need to move in and out against the leaf spring.

I fitted the back of the top first so that the flaps that pop onto the rear wings sit down fairly flat. Then you need to pay attention to getting the top to fit around the back corner of the side windows. When the back is done, make sure the webbing is taut to the front cross member before fitting the top material, which needs to be tight, but not excessively.

Dont anchor the soft top to the body at the sides as they need to be left free.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk