Sunbeam Tiger B9472260HRO: UK reg EPO 500C

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Brian Boxall

Post by Brian Boxall » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Just over 2 years ago I posted this request for information, and I have made no progress whatsoever!. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to trace my cars history, I'd be most grateful.
Wondered if anyone could help me research the history of my car prior to 1984. Unfortunately DVLA records end there.
I purchased the car in 1987, from a Mr Kreutzer in Wolverhampton who purchased it in 1984 from a Mr Fantham from Bishops Cleeve near Cheltenham. I am in contact with the person I purchased it from, but cannot find Mr Fantham or any prior owners. I do know EPO is West Sussex, but don't know if (a) any record exist in West Sussex, or (b) if the supplying dealer is still in business. What I do know is that the car was first registered on 18th February 1965, making it one of the first UK RHD supplied cars; this leads me to feel it may have gone to an influential dealer as a demonstrator or similar. So my question is this: has anyone out there attempted to reseach the history of their car with such relatively scant information to work with? How will I begin to unravel the first 19 years of my car's life?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, Brian Boxall[b][/b]

STOCTiger

Tracing UK Registrations

Post by STOCTiger » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:06 am

Brian
As you say "PO" was issued by the West Sussex County Council. The original registers were kept at Chichester and may still be in the WSCC's archives. Local registration responsiblity transferred from Chichester to Portsmouth in 1974 and it maybe the original ledgers went there as well.
I would try both councils; they may still hold the 60's ledgers.
After all we know that the Coventry Local Registration records from the 60's were donated to the Coventry Transport Museum.
So Club members with 2nd & 3rd registration letters of DU, HP, KV, RW, VC, WK can find the original registration details of their Tigers at the Coventry museum. I am told (haven't seen it) that it is possible to tell from the Coventry ledgers which registration numbers were issued in advance to dealers.
Good Luck and let us know how you get on!
STOC Tiger

Brian Boxall

Post by Brian Boxall » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:30 pm

I contacted West Sussex records office at Chichester, and found the following information:
The number (EPO 500C) was issued on 15th February 1965 to Walter A.Wood, Horsham, who are listed as both dealer and first owner. I am only guessing, but I think they may have registered it as a "demonstrator". The registration date on my "logbook" is 18th February 1965. Whilst "EPO" is by no means the first Tiger manufactured, (B9472260HROFE), it does appear to be the first known (to the Club) registered Tiger in the UK.
I'm very grateful to the Club (and to the person who submitted the sole response to my message), for helping me obtain this information. I would love to learn more about Walter A Wood Ltd. They seem to have disappeared from Horsham.

STOCTiger

Post by STOCTiger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 am

Brian
Your feedback is very interesting as it proves that County Council registration archives from the 60's (as opposed to the DVLA) can help Club members trace the details of the first owners of their Tigers.
Cursory 'googling' of "Walter A Wood Ltd" of Horsham shows the firm to have been a agricultural & harvesting machinery business, apparently a subsidiary of a US organisation, which closed in 1968. Try:

reading.ac.uk/Instits/im/the_collection ... _trade.php and:
[nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/su ... p?ID=B6863

Looks likely that the first owner of your Tiger was an enthusiast!
STOC Tiger