Brakes

Post general questions relating to Tigers
tigerman7347

Brakes

Post by tigerman7347 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:05 pm

How easy is it to upgrade the front discs/ I have heard you can use ford Capri discs and calipers ,but is it a straight swop?

Comet

Need new front rotors 65 Tiger

Post by Comet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi

looking for new front rotors any tips

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 am

Hi,

There are some kits already available from the US (Dales restorations) and you could also try Sunbeam spares Co or Sunbeam supreme, both in the UK. I know Dales definitely has a kit, but I don't know how much modification is required. I think there is also a caliper upgrade with the standard discs.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

bigbob

brakes

Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:49 am

The common upgrade is to use a set of Brembo 4 pot calipers & vented discs from a Peugoet 406 V6 Coupe. The calipers bolt straight on & the discs fit after minor machining. But you ideally need 14 or 15" wheels. check out e-bay or breakers yards for parts.

odl21

Post by odl21 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:27 pm

if you only want vented discs/rotors, dale a. sells them (dalesrestro.com). with modern pads in the stock calipers that's probably all you need.

i wouldn't think about changing the calipers unless you already had discs on the rear too. (i can justify that argument if you're interested...).

at the other end of the spectrum, hoppers stoppers in australia will make you new hubs in any offset, with huge vented discs (cross drilled and/or slotted if you like) and a large two piston floating caliper. fits under 15" wheels. its pretty cheap too.

in the middle, the brembo route is popular in the uk although it can be pricey and the wilwood route is popular in the US.

if you're changing calipers, you'll need to look into changing the master cylinder too and possibly going the dual master route.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

odl21 wrote:unless you already had discs on the rear too
Was thinking of rear discs, do you know what's available and would be interested to hear any further thoughts on setting up rears.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 pm

what for you did 40mph all the way home from blenheim

odl21

Post by odl21 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 pm

depends if you want a handbrake or not :)

for a road car, you need calipers with a handbrake activation mechanism which reduces the choice.

i've seen various options but i used the kit that dale sells. his kit has changed a bit over the years but now uses modern mustang calipers, fiat discs, a custom alloy bracket and a custom handbrake cable that fits nicely. you could fairly easily source your own used parts to do it cheaper if you had the time though.

with these calipers, the balance and pedal force is ok with a stock single circuit MC and the stock front calipers and the brakes last longer before overheating and you don't risk locking the rears with hot drums.

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:38 pm

Was thinking about rear disc's and my thoughts were to use sierra cosworth/granada as these have a built in hand brake and are readily availible and fair priced.

My worries are how to work out what master cylinder to use as the rear calipers and front calipers will need a greater volume of fluid.

Would also like dual circuit and to loose the servo but worried about brakes not having a nice feel at low speeds, as this is what I have found with dual circuit brakes and no servo on other cars I have built, they work well at high speed stopping but feel dead with no feed back at low speeds.

Any thoughts and or experiences. :?:

bigbob

Brakes

Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Great minds think alike. I have a set of Cosworth discs & calipers off e-bay to fit as a winter project. i reckon all you need is a mounting plate made up to bolt on the axle flange to take the caliper. Some adjustment of mounting the disc will be needed for alignment. And finally sorting out hand brake cable connections. Not as bad as it sounds. Try next size up bore master cylinder to give required amount of fluid, will increase pedal pressure possibly. I have adjustable brake balance valve to keep correct pressures front & back. [Brembos on front, drums rear currently]