gear knob

Post general questions relating to Tigers
ksherlock

gear knob

Post by ksherlock » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:37 pm

I need to fit a new rubber gaiter to my gear lever. The knob has unscrewed with no problem but the chrome part below the knob seems really tight. Is there a recommended way to unscrew this ?

garyf

Re: gear knob

Post by garyf » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:36 pm

It should unscrew like the plastic part, I suppose they can corrode and some releasing spray left for a couple of hours may help?

Be careful if you use a pair of grips, don't apply to much leverage or you may snap your gear lever!

How do you plan to get the Rubber gaiter over the 'T' Shift lever for reverse, are you removing the actual gear-lever?

Regards

Gary

ksherlock

Post by ksherlock » Wed May 03, 2023 11:54 am

I was planning to fit a new gaiter. I understand that it can be fitted with the T bar still in place by warming it in hot water and a bit of lubrication. The old one can be just cut off.

garyf

Post by garyf » Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm

I would be careful not to split or stretch it.

The gear lever can be removed quite easily from in the car, two bolts if I remember correctly?

It may need less stretching on the Gaiter if you try from the bottom of the gear lever.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gary

ksherlock

Post by ksherlock » Tue May 09, 2023 11:08 am

Thanks Gary. The gear lever is a spare one that I have . The chrome is in better condition than the original one on the car. I think Ford must have put the gaiter on before the gear lever was assembled.