Front headlights for Tiger

Post general questions relating to Tigers
David Elphick

Front headlights for Tiger

Post by David Elphick » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:12 pm

I have just been asked to verify a Sunbeam Tiger that has been sitting in a dry barn untouched for over 20 years for probate. The car was originally Mediterranean blue but has been painted at some time during its life to dark blue prior to being parked up. Under the bonnet and the interior all looks original with 41000 miles on the clock and even the original push button radio ! and this gentleman was only the second owner as he bought it back in the 70s. It has since been parked up for over 20 years with a dust sheet on it and now the owner has passed away so the family are deciding what to do with it. The whole car is in remarkable condition as it has a hard top and with a dust sheet away from the sun and any moister the interior is still like new but what is strange are the front head lights. The car has previously been repainted and the chrome trims have been removed from the sides and it has some nasty 70s style square repeater lights on the front wings but the headlights are cut into the wings and covered with a Perspex cover, similar to an E Type Jag nothing like original Tiger or Alpine lights. Whoever did the modification has done a good job as I can't see any cuts or welding of the wings so was this a factory option ? Unfortunately due to the circumstances of probate etc I can't share any photos or Chassis number however, its on a 1966 reg plate but would be interested to hear if anyone has seen anything similar or has any ideas ? I don't know what the family will do with the car but it seems unlikely they will be selling it so don't get your hopes up ! Thanks David

garyf

Re: Front headlights for Tiger

Post by garyf » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi David

What a great find, hope the car gets recommissioned and put back on the road?

I have seen Racing Alpines with faired in Headlights similar to the E-Types

Here's one off the Internet?
Racing Alpine.jpg
Racing Alpine.jpg (199.44 KiB) Viewed 4060 times