temp sender

Post general questions relating to Tigers
ksherlock

temp sender

Post by ksherlock » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Can anyone suggest the best way to test the original temp sender unit.

garyf

Re: temp sender

Post by garyf » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi

Have you got a Multi-meter?

If so and the Sender unit is still fitted to the Engine, Set the Meter to 0-200 Ohm Scale for Resistance, then put one Test lead on the cable connection lug on the sender and the other to the body of the Sender, or a good earth connection locally on the engine, if you then get an Infinity (Open circuit reading) it is a faulty Sender.

I'm not sure what the reading should be with a cold engine, but if you get say a 50 ohm reading when cold, when you warm the engine this should decrease if the sender is working.

Hope that makes sense?

PS - One way to test most 60's Lucas/Jaeger Type temperature Gauges is to take the lead off at the Temperature sender unit and place it to earth on the engine/body of the Sender, if the gauge then moves into the red after a few seconds your Gauge is working (With the ignition on of course).

ksherlock

Post by ksherlock » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks Gary. I thought of connecting the lead to earth to test the gauge, but the workshop manual advises against this saying that the gauge windings may burn out. Have you tried this yourself ?

garyf

Post by garyf » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:50 pm

I haven't on a Tiger, but did test my Fuel Gauge on a 60's Triumph this way with no damage to the Gauge.

I think it depends on what type of Gauge it is?

Have you tried testing the temperature sender with a multi-meter?

ksherlock

Post by ksherlock » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm

I will try the multi meter as you suggested.