MoT exemption

Post general questions relating to Tigers
ksherlock

MoT exemption

Post by ksherlock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am

I taxed my Tiger in March 2018. The current MoT expires in September 2018. Can I apply for MoT exemption before I retax the car next March? If not , can I use the car after the current MoT expires?

nicam

Post by nicam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Everyone I know who has a pre 1960 car, which has been exempt for some time, still take it down for an "MOT", in all but name, simply to have peace of mind that another pair of experienced eyes have been cast over the vehicle.
I am actually quite surprised that Insurance companies are not asking for something similar to prove roadworthiness.
It is not so much the "genuine classics" that will be the problem (well maintained and serviced) but the 40 year old (that is 1978) Banger that is being kept running on a shoestring - after all, that period in time was not renowned for the quality and longevity of the new cars being made!

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue May 29, 2018 1:31 pm

I agree entirely with the points made above. But to answer the original question, you will be able to renew your tax next year without needing to have a valid MOT. It is as simple as that. No need to apply for the exemption, it is automatic.

I completed the consultation response on this on behalf of my work and said, basically, that the exemption is fine for vintage cars which are simple and rather slow, albeit with a separate chassis, and possibly other than hydraulic brakes. But an E type Jaguar, or a Tiger for that matter, is a different proposition. In a few years things like Sierra Cosworths will be exempt too. They were very quick and a bit rust prone too.
Adam Moody