GOODWOOD REVIVAL 2015 Chris Beighton

Post general questions relating to Tigers
bobvic

Post by bobvic » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 am

As an unfortunate non attendee of the revival but an avid spectator of the video. Has anyone any detail of the involuntary stop and cause that afflicted Chris just a few laps from the end.

Watching the Tiger mixing it with all those Cobras was awe inspiring for me to watch, for Chris the failure must be near the top of his disappointments list.

Were any of the Cobras 428 versions? Does anyone know?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 am

Bob

I met up with Chris Beighton and Tony Eckford in Spa soon after the Revival 'TT' when they told me a small stone had entered the casing of the alternator killing the electrics!!

The LM car was 7th on the starting grid. here are the results: http://www.tsl-timing.com/event/153721/session/rc1trt

There were Daytona Cobras in the mix this year (9 of the 31 starters were Cobras) all ostensibly running with 289's!!!

bobvic

Post by bobvic » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:57 am

Thank you Graham for your encyclopedic reply, most grateful.

What a terrible episode of bad luck! When you consider all the entrants except perhaps the LM Ferrari were exposed to the same risk.

Not many cars; if any; would be fitted with mesh protected frontal air intakes.

The offending stone was presumably picked up from the tarmac in areas of the gravel traps, deposited by cars re-entering from off's.

It seems like a tease for the Engineers to solve.