STOC Website MKII - Under development

Post general questions relating to Tigers
tigerman7347

new site

Post by tigerman7347 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 pm

And why not have a members only section? That's why we pay a membership. There is so much spam coming from outside the group that has to be stopped. At least we know they are genuine members. What we need is security number as a club member given to us by the club and our own password

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am

I agree broadly with the comments above: The website is a good one and easy to use, although being able to post photos would really help. I really like the see all unread posts feature.

A How To section would be fantastic, but of course relies on people taking the time to take photos & post descriptions when they are carrying out a job. I love Doug’s idea of a list of known Tigers (or at least a Tiger’s last known where-abouts) in the UK as this would have helped immensely when I was looking for mine. This could be a members only service, where you can enter a registration number or chassis number to receive an e mail listing whether the car is known to the club and maybe it’s providence (or is that venturing dangerously close to the TAC issue?! :shock: ).

I am a member of several other classic car forums, it is true to say that they are all suffering from reduced footfall since the advent of relevant Facebook pages. I wonder if having a member’s only section would discourage wider use of our Tiger forum, although I appreciate that the population of Tigers is much lower than most other marques, and I imagine that the majority of Tiger owners are also club members.

Overall though, the forum is certainly fit for purpose and is more user friendly than other forums for much bigger car clubs. Perhaps more active users could be encouraged via Cats Whiskers and the Face Book page.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 pm

I think we need to look at the best of it all. FB is good for chit chat but posting pics is essential for all forums. I believe usage has a lot to do with how easy the site is to use.

There's not a lot of FB technical on either site but there is quite a lot on the CAT site. Duke looks like he's doing a big PR push for us to use that site, even to theorist of having a UK section, but how about pooling the technical stuff and using it all as a centre piece for both or all Alpine Tiger sites. Again the picture downloading comes up, if we found it easy to attach pics to either questions or tech help I think you will find more usage and it would be quality usage.

I'm not a great FB user but find the STOC site has died off because people have shifted over to FB. If you can answer why, you will have your answer as to what would improve the web site.

The TAC will rumble on in the background, email platform not great for that and can be mis interpreted.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 pm

How about going in with the septics for one Tiger site but with Uk / USA sections?

Share the tech / general forums but keep the country specific ones seperate.

Like most here i am on the US site, the differance is they fall over themselves to help you, the UK one just has lookers not helpers.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:30 am

I think that was Dukes intention. If I thought we could have conversations about things like TAC without being banned I would be right behind that. There are people who like control and lie through their teeth to get what they want so an alternative site brings some balance.

On the whole I think your right Brad, it could be explored

Wilbur Bud

Post by Wilbur Bud » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:31 pm

The new one is OK for me. I like this one as well. No interest in switching to FB. Also regularly review TEAE and CAT plus a couple other marque forum not related to Rootes/Sunbeam as sadly, the Tiger is not my only money pit. Not really in favor of combining all into one as I like the inherent differences and varying points of view.

1966TigerMk1a

Post by 1966TigerMk1a » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:41 pm

We will soon have 46 years of Tiger Tales on the site too. Please feel free to drop by and have a fresh look.

An example -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B86gw ... authuser=0

My $.02, FB is great for instant coordination. It is not searchable, organizable or a place to hang tech tips.
Duke
B382002037LRXFE, TAC #739, Born on 5/3/66
454 HP, 445 lbs/torque
Gentle as a kitten that will rip your face off when the right pedal is put to the floor.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:51 pm

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback and views about the Club website, other Tiger websites and opinions about Facebook, what it offers and doesn't, and points about both extending the Forum and simplifying access to it etc.

Please give me a couple of weeks to figure out with the STOC Committee what we have learned.

I shall revert!!

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:03 pm

the forum participation has a lot to do with the age group of tiger owners a lot are well into there 50 and 60s where not brought up with computers.also a lot of the forum debates turn into arguments and tend to go round in circles .as rob blaney says for some of us posting photos is hardwork but there's no alternative . No doubt in years to come forums will be easier to post photos on . Has the stoc looked into its own app yet ?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:47 pm

The new STOC site design is going live this week. Not sure which day right now.

This old site has been going since 1999 but importantly it is/was always a "one man band" operation dependent on a single / solo / uno webmaster!

The new site is still coming together and once live a fair bit of work will still be needed to get it up to speed. BUT when it does it will be the work of many hands; I think there are 5 contributors now.

The Forum will continue as is (bar a version upgrade very shortly) and don't forget there is also the Sunbeam Tiger UK page on Facebook that's well worth supporting.

'See you on the other side'!!!

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:44 pm

The new website went live today.

Some pages as yet to be populated and others updated, work in progress.

The gallery section now has an area where members can have an image of their car. Just send in a recent photo and the chassis number.

Let us know what you think about the site.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Looks good!

Warren

Hopefully

Post by Warren » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 am

Can talk about these issues in June if any others are in California. Tough to get guys to contribute, tougher to get em to pay every year to support the cause. Member areas are a good thing and are a benefit of membership. Some things I like about the old site but it needs ability to post pictures and I miss the car wash ones :)