STOC Website MKII - Under development

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

STOC Website MKII - Under development

Post by gvickery » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Some members are working at producing a new Club website.

Perhaps reasonably believing the current site is pretty dated - after all its been around largely unchanged since 1997!!

Like to gather some general opinions at this time particularly how sites such as this one work alongside social media like Facebook, if at all.

But importantly:

What do you value about the current Club website?
Is the under development Beta site a step up?
What more would you want included in the new site?

Take a look:http://powerspike.co.uk/tiger/

AND post some comments
When you do please tell us what are the other Sunbeam Tiger sites and media you follow.

What do YOU think?

Thanks

Graham
for STOC Committee

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm fine with the way it is. If there just would be more participation in the Forum...

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks Bernd for your quick feedback.

Come on fellow browsers. So far my plea has been read 50 times with 1 response. A 2% success rate is not going to tell me much.

Maybe I need to bring back the 'T.A.C.' debate to get some air in here!!

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am

I agree with Bernd but beside that I am very interested in all kind of technical issues. I know with help the forum one can solve a lot of technical problems, but perhaps it is an idea to browse the forum and create special technical items with problems / solutions and improvements which were not available at the time.

Regards,

Peter

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:06 am

I like it.

I think that header zooming about is going to slowly drive me mad but that's me.

How about a link to the Facebook page and a link on the Facebook page to the website? Might get more people visiting?

As mentioned before, it would be nice if we didn't have to host photos but I don't know if it would be possible to do that.

How about an Other Marques section too.

AS you're asking about opinions, is it possible to get Carroll Shelby's quote on the back of the membership card changed. It sends my ocd off the scale. :)

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 am

As said above a bit more contribution rather than lurking would be good.

It does look a bit fresher than the current offering so i quite like it.

A technical section / modifications would be good as well.

Lastly the page doesn't display very well in firefox.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Brad1380 wrote:As said above a bit more contribution rather than lurking would be good.
+ another 1 on that.

You can't force people to use the website but I think they should be reminded that you shouldn't just come on here when you want something and they could contribute to someone elses woes.

Also, perhaps a "What did you do on your Tiger Today" sort of thing could work, although from what people have said in the past, I do think that the pics situation holds a lot back.

tigerman7347

Website

Post by tigerman7347 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Graham

I look at Sunbeam Tiger and UK site on Facebook.

I would like to make it easier to post photos on the Forum, I am not familiar with Photo bucket. But apart from that its fine.

Rob

BillRo

Post by BillRo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:03 pm

An archive of older scanned Cats Whiskers would be nice.

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi Graham

The new site looks really good.

As you know, I don't own a Tiger yet but I'm actively looking. There are a couple of things that I would find useful that I can't find ...

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the club can help with vehicle inspections, but I can't find any details of how to access that service. Maybe a club services page with contact details or procedures might work.

As I've found Tigers for sale I've been researching as best I can on the Internet and bombarding you with emails. Is it feasible to have a registry of known Tigers in the UK, with a short synopsis on what is known about the vehicle up to a known date. I suppose the only issue is sensitivity of the information put out for public consumption...

Hope this helps

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Doug

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Oh, I also regularly look at the Tiger and UK Facebook pages.

Have you thought about asking for feedback on Facebook?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:53 pm

Think we need a balance between the existing paying members of STOC v lurkers who just want/immediate demand for free information....

..perhaps the solution is to have a 'Members only Section' on the new STOC website. This might be the commercial solution to Doug's request for accessing services that can be offered by the club, such as; Tiger inspection, TAC verification, Historical Database(?)

I do know that information is freely available in this day and age on the www, which is great for the marque's awareness in the classic car scene, but as somebody who pays their annual membership fee to STOC it would be nice to distinguish. Otherwise, where's the incentive to pay my annual subscription to the club? if I can get everything I need freely off the web!

Folk also have to appreciate, with the request for information - the club is primarily run by volunteers/like minded Tiger enthusiasts.

My 2 cents.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Graham. only just started using Forum this week. look at web site almost daily since I aquired my Tiger in Feb this year, mainly classifieds and whats on. would seem a long winded affair to upload photos, being able to do straight from phone or desktop via mail would be good. I have done a lot to my car in 6 months ( design and made new panard rod, made replica ali header tank and would love to share some photos. "picture paints a thousand words"
Tim

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:18 pm

A Members Area makes a lot of sense. As well as the things I mentioned, maybe the electronic archive of old Cats Whiskers should be members only.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Tomaselli wrote:Think we need a balance between the existing paying members of STOC v lurkers who just want/immediate demand for free information....

..perhaps the solution is to have a 'Members only Section' on the new STOC website. This might be the commercial solution to Doug's request for accessing services that can be offered by the club, such as; Tiger inspection, TAC verification, Historical Database(?)

I do know that information is freely available in this day and age on the www, which is great for the marque's awareness in the classic car scene, but as somebody who pays their annual membership fee to STOC it would be nice to distinguish. Otherwise, where's the incentive to pay my annual subscription to the club? if I can get everything I need freely off the web!

Folk also have to appreciate, with the request for information - the club is primarily run by volunteers/like minded Tiger enthusiasts.

My 2 cents.
I'm not a fan of paying member areas personally. I see it as info at a price.

My 2 Dirhams