hello!

Post general questions relating to Tigers
tigerandy

hello!

Post by tigerandy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello! congratulations on a great looking site. My name is Andrew, I am currently prisoner to an 1989 ex-works supported celica turbo rally car but have always wanted some more more classic metal!

Thanks to my dad 1950s/60s sports cars have always been of great interest to me, and ever since seeing a red tiger tearing through the Yorkshire countryside when I was about 10 y.o I've wanted one. I'm hoping to be in a position to realize this sometime toward the end of next year.

As such I'm trying to learn as much about the cars subtleties as possible, I have started with the Mike Taylor book and a buyers guide from Classic and Sports Car Mag 2009.

I would like to see some cars and talk 'face-to-face' with some owners as well.

I live in Cranleigh, Surrey -Do you guys have any regular pub meets or similar in the area which I could tag along to and have a chat?

Thanks, Andrew

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Andy,
they rust!
Be aware that some Alpines are now Tigers...seach the forum for TAC & your see it's a bit of a topic.

cheers
Brad
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Andrew

20 odd Tigers were only at the Cranleigh Classic Car show in mid-August!

The London / SE group meets in Reigate every third Wednesday at The Bell pub from 8.30. You can pick a dozen++ brains each month.

P.M me for further info.

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:26 pm

gvickery wrote:Andrew

20 odd Tigers were only at the Cranleigh Classic Car show in mid-August!

The London / SE group meets in Reigate every third Wednesday at The Bell pub from 8.30. You can pick a dozen++ brains each month.

P.M me for further info.
I knew I should gone to the show! I'll pm you about pub meet once I have digested my reading and I have some decent questions- I see there is a note for for VEE Sunday at Goodwood on 2 November on the stoc events section. Are you planning to display some tigers on the starting grid? I often pop down to breakfast clubs, would nice to say hello then and have a close up look at some big cats in the daylight 8)
Last edited by tigerandy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Brad1380 wrote:Hi Andy,
they rust!
Be aware that some Alpines are now Tigers...seach the forum for TAC & your see it's a bit of a topic.

cheers
Brad
Thanks Brad - the rust I should be able to spot (my dad had a couple of 1960s 2600 alfas when I was growing up - 'nuff said!).

The alpine/tiger issues I feel may be the most complex stumbling block when viewing cars. I suppose checking if the car is registered on the club archive list should be a good indication it's legitimate?

As well as the Mike Taylor book this seems a useful read -

http://www.classictiger.com/mudge/tac/nutac.htm

I am going to crack open a nice beer and read the 47 page 'Tiger/Alpine re-shelling discussion thread' to start though, hopefully I'll come out the other end with a good understanding of the sort of things I am likely to see when I begin viewing cars
:D

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:23 am

I wouldn't read that if I were you.

You'll gain a good understanding but not of what you are likely to see.

Welcome btw.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Welcome on board Andrew, and we are certainly here to help you out :mrgreen: Lot's of knowledge here, as most of us have been around Tigers longer than we care to remember :D

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:33 am

martin172 wrote:I wouldn't read that if I were you.

You'll gain a good understanding but not of what you are likely to see.

Welcome btw.
Finally finished reading the thread, wow! I can see the need for some kind of uk-based authentication system, or owners club inspection service to give a summary or originality 'score' (matching numbers etc) for buyers new to the marque to make purchasing a less daunting prospect. I'm happy just doing my own research though - all part of the fun right!?

Personally, as long as the car legally wears the correct Chassis plate and original registration number identifying it as a Tiger and work that has been undertaken has been compliant with the rules of the Dvla that should be enough to call it a Tiger. That is the law of the land we live in after all. The most important thing is the seller being open about their knowledge of the cars history to allow a buyer to make an informed decision. I guess there's the rub!

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 am

Tomaselli wrote:Welcome on board Andrew, and we are certainly here to help you out :mrgreen: Lot's of knowledge here, as most of us have been around Tigers longer than we care to remember :D
Thanks! I always think it's unwise to buy a classic without joining the community first!

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi Andrew, welcome. Dont start on the TAC thing it doesnt work on email. If you want to know something just ask. The Reigate meet is great and not far down the road in Thorpe Green theres another. 2nd Tuesday of month Rose and Crown. Your close to a little hot spot of Tigers. We had someone looking the other day and came to monthly. We advised him to come to Cranleigh, a bit of a Tiger favourite.

It all really depends on what you want and what you want to spend. There are some of us who want original but equally at home sat next to Monster modded beasts. Most are modified in some way like mine. Theres a great atmosphere within the Club and club meets but to get to see a few cars maybe a bit tricky as the weathers closing in now.

Warren

Less Rusty ones

Post by Warren » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:27 am

Please also visit CAT Tiger club in California. I hope you do not get turned off by the debate. I had one car TAC'd and it was stressful to put it mildly.

One of my buddies and I collect vin info, me 3 years him nearly 20 plus he got a passed friends old computer files showing LOTS of old vinplates eBay ads and the like.

Lot's can happen in 50 years to a car.

Most start with a trip to Norm's page but today there is so much more.
Most Tigers show or are grouped in Stock with allowed period options, which really are close allowing any headers not really ones modeled after the original LAT ones or even aftermarket ones.

Personalized is most popular but seems to lean to period correct but not quite Modified. IE MG steering racks n roll bars.

Modified is everything else New Wilwood brakes and Modern coil over suspension, unless you are talking vintage racing.

Numbers matching valve covers. rear ends and transmissions and door locks. Lot's of horses got out of those barns. I have one door lock left that came with one of my cars, but it's all LEGO I mean Tiger bricks, well except for the fender and a mirror and some SV headlight rings :D

It seem rather a melting pot of sorts and most really play nice. Welcome

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for the advice and useful information guys! I will be sure to check out the CAT club.

Is anyone planning to show their car at the Goodwood vee Sunday breakfast club on 2 November?
1989 ex-works supported grpN toyota celica rally car

marinerblueuk

Post by marinerblueuk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Depending on the weather I'm probably going to be there. Won't be going however if its pouring with rain or they've dumped salt on the roads!

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:00 pm

That applies to a few of us!!

tigerandy

Post by tigerandy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Excellent - fingers crossed for good weather 8)
1989 ex-works supported grpN toyota celica rally car