Monte Tour

Post general questions relating to Tigers
B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 am

Got home late Monday.
Off to collect GYU from the trailer storage today.
Alternator failed on Day 2; I heeded earlier advice and brought a spare so it was a relatively quick roadside swap for us in the sunshine with Tristan and Lou's help.
An infuriating intermittent total cut-out problem eventually became permanent; Team North happened to pass by and Dean located the problem, which was the wire from ignition switch to ballast resistor (exactly as predicted by Bengt).
Wore out 2x front tyres; had 2x spares so no problem.
Otherwise, ran beautifully on fabulous roads, amazing scenery, great company, too much food and drink, bank account empty, waistline overflowing.
Great job by all involved especially dealing with tired people complaining.
Special honours go to Andy Carter and Graham Rood for putting in 28 hours work each day fixing multiple issues (sadly ADU 311B and Andy Yates' cracked bellhousing were beyond their help), and Ruth for endless smoothing of paths.
Hopefully in due course we can compile a list of common failures so we can all learn from it, but a few from my recollection: Alternator, generator, regulator, clutch master, front bearing welding itself to stub axle (spare on truck), sump plug coming loose, cracked steel wheels, propshaft wearing out, fuel evaporation in the Cote d'Azur heat - and running out of fuel!
The hardy and the brave are still out there, on the vineyard tour, the Iberia tour or the Italy tour, or merely driving all the way home to Sweden.
Worth a Cat's Whiskers on its own.

tigerman7347

Monte tour

Post by tigerman7347 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Doing fine on the Italy tour but now in Germany having blitzed the Stelvio Pass at 7 am this morning. Australian Tiger hit a stone which damaged the front of the left header, we think its cracked further up , but will look in the morning. Lack of air at 9800mtrs! Me thinks my rear wheel bearings are on the way out, please call Andy and Graham for me! Anyway beer and food await

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 am

The Stelvio was stunning yesterday. We had the mountain to ourselves thanks to the eay start. Black Forest High Road today.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

gvickery
Site Admin

OS

Post by gvickery » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:41 pm

39 Tigers in Cannes for the finale of the Monte Tour. 3 didn't make it - will cover that later. Here are a few pics for now, pending a summary report and many more better pics from our participants!!

On the lawns of The Grand Hotel.

Tiger fan club member

STOC Rally plate in pride of place - 'Les Trois Vallees' restaurant top of the Turini.

Descending Col D' Allos - Bradfield/Ford, Davenalls Andrew & David, Lou & Val Lusardi.

Rosie Smith about to leave Hotel Grand Des Rasses, Switzerland. Also pictured, Andrew Ford, Malcolm Sedman, Harry Salkeld, Jackie Sedman, Ken Chisholm.

Early morning Hotel Grand Des Rasses

Rosie Smith and Pauline Gullick prior to departure!!!!

More later.