JIMMY BLUMER

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

JIMMY BLUMER

Post by gvickery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 pm

STOC PRESIDENT

It is with great sadness I have to advise the passing of Jimmy Blumer the President of the Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club.

Jimmy died sudenly last week and I understand Jimmy's funeral will take place in Darlington next Friday 6th September.

More information will be posted once we have it.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Condolences to the family, had met Jimmy a few times of late - an awfully nice bloke. Always had time for anybody, even chatted to my kids.

RIP

Peter 1

Post by Peter 1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:38 pm

We were saddened to hear of Jimmy's passing. Andrea and I enjoyed many interesting chats with him and listened to his never ending fund of motoring stories. We never saw him without a smile and a fascinating tale to tell, often long into the night. A good bloke and a great driver - we shall miss you Jim. Our sympathies to Margaret and to your family.
Andrea and Peter Shinton.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

FROM OUR CHAIRMAN - Angela Dandy

Jimmy Blumer - President STOC

A legend in his time... It is with great sadness that we have to tell you that Jimmy Blumer passed away peacefully last Saturday.
Angela is in contact with the family and has spoken to Margaret who is bearing up well in the circumstances. Margaret sends her love to you all.

The memorial service will be held on Friday 6th September at 1215 at Holy Trinity Church. Woodlands Road, Darlington, (DL3 9NL) which will be followed by a cremation and, as Jimmy would have wished, a 'good piss up' (His words!).

An invitation has been extended by the family to any member of STOC who would like to attend and join with the family in giving Jimmy the very best of send offs.

STOC will be sending an appropriate wreath on behalf of all of our members but if members wish they may send donations to Yorkshire Air Ambulance, Great North Air Ambulance or RNLI. Alternatively flowers can be sent to Seaton Leng Funeral Directors.
If any STOC members, within easy driving distance of Darlington, are able to attend with their Tigers we are sure that Jimmy would love to hear the roar of the V8s.
If you are able to attend then could you please drop Angela an email at angela.dandy1@btinternet.com (new email address) so that I can give the family an indication of numbers.

Angela

P.S. this will be a webmail to all Members in the morning

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 pm

From Jimmy's nephew David Coulthard

I’m sorry to report the death of my uncle, Jimmy Blumer. Jimmy started his racing career in 1950 and took part in that year’s Monte Carlo Rally, where he was the youngest driver - 18 - in the oldest car, a 1938 Morris Ten. By the late 1950s, Jimmy had progressed to sportscars, racing his ex-Moss Cooper Bobtail, Lotus Eleven and his beloved Cooper Monaco across Europe. In addition to his own cars, he also drove for Ecurie Ecosse and the Border Reivers, amongst others.

Jimmy shared the Equipe Endeavour Mk.II Jag with Mike Parkes to win the 1962 Motor Six Hour Race. In 1963, Jimmy competed in the British Saloon Car Championship, driving the Alan Andrews Racing Cortina GT. He finished 5th overall. He also finished 2nd in the Marlboro 12 hours. 1964 took Jimmy to Le Mans, where he drove the ill-prepared Sunbeam Tiger for Rootes Group. Apparently, you can get a cigarette out of your overalls top pocket at the start of Mulsanne and have it smoked before you pass the pits and the beady eye of Marcus Chambers…

A lovely chap who will be missed by all who knew him.

DC
Last edited by gvickery on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:42 pm

TXJ7

Post by TXJ7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:29 am

RIP Jimmy, very sad to hear you are no longer with us.

He was a fantastic bloke and our condolences to Margaret, we'll be thinking of you

Stuart and Cate

Peter II

Post by Peter II » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:40 pm

Very saddened to hear of the loss of Jimmy - a superb club President, funny story teller and half of the best double act we've ever seen. Our condolences to Margaret - we are thinking of you at this time.

RIP Jimmy.

Peter II & Kirsty

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 pm

What a shame. He was always good company & full of entertaining stories. A really nice man that I'm glad to have known.

tigerman7347

Jimmy Blumer

Post by tigerman7347 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Jimmy will be sadly missed, our condolences to his family.

Rob & Sally