100 miles in 1 hour Centenary - Brooklands

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

100 miles in 1 hour Centenary - Brooklands

Post by gvickery » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Saturday, February 16, 2013

"One hundred years ago at Brooklands, on Saturday 15th February 1913, Percy Lambert, driving a 25 hp “Invincible Talbot” became the first person on earth to travel over 100 miles in one hour. To mark the centenary of this extraordinary achievement, on Saturday 16th February this year a group of Talbot and other historic cars will attempt to cover an aggregate 103.76 miles (the exact distance covered by Lambert) at Brooklands."

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.p ... centenary/

STOC has 10 parking/show places near the Clubhouse, with 5 taken as I write. Interested? Please call/email me.

Graham
STOC Editor

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Some years ago i was working at a section of Brooklands that isn't open to the public, it's inside Tesco's Weybride distribution site. This part of the site apparently is where Percy crashed and met his end. Folklore says that Percy's ghost wonders the buildings that now exist where the track once ran and has been seen many times, i was on contract there on nights refurbing the chiller/ventilation units. I was working alone when a cold chill ran down my spine.....i turned around and could clearly see a white figure 50 yrds from me holding what looked like a leather helmet and goggles gazing at me with a vacant stare? The Tesco's night shift workers thought it highly amusing when i told them what i had just witnessed? Oh it's only Percy he won't hurt you..... they'd all seen him many times.

As a sceptic in all things of this nature i was advised to Google him, and sure enough the ghost of "Percy Lambert" is historically very well known at Brooklands. :wink:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Graham, will the Tigers get a chance for a photoshoot/run on the remaining banked circuit.

I'm scared of ghosts, dunno whether I should go now :shock:

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Yep. RRT is right! Brooklands have been doing 'Ghost Tours' for few years - torch lit walks and stories round some of the exhibits and Test Hill and the Banking together with some scary stories to add to the atmosphere. Used to get a bowl of soup & roll thrown in (perhaps Up as well!) for £14 quid.
I don't know how often anyone saw Percy

Tony. I think we will be able to access the banking but I will check tom and PM you.

marinerblueuk

Post by marinerblueuk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I'd be interested but it would depend on the weather ie not snowing or floods!

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:16 am

Weather forecast look promising, so I shall be there in my (scruffy) Tiger.

I was there last Sunday at the Breakfast meeting. It was such a miserable wet morning, but since quite a few turned out despite the weather I thought it was only fair that I gave them a bit of a show up the test hill - wheelspin all the way!
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Any pics from this get together?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Couldn't make this meet, if anybody wants help to host the pictures then let me know.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:04 pm

This was a 'tongue in cheek' event but it still honored Percy Lambert nicely enough! A few dozen cars provided by the Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq Register recorded an aggregate distance of 103.76 miles in an hour at Brooklands.

Fair enough since no 100 year old motor car is going to do anything on the Mercedes Test track beyond a demo parade! But there was still some spirited driving to be seen.

Percy Lambert's feat in a 25hp 'Invincible' Talbot is a distant stretch to the Sunbeam Tiger. I am not sure about the 'DNA link' but it can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot. I guess the Tiger is a 3rd or 4th generation descendant!!

The Tiger did 'strut its stuff' similarly 52 years later on 8-9 February 1965 at Zandvoort when AHP 294B smashed the Dutch - 3, 6, 12 and 24 hour Land Speed records at an average speed of 120 kph. It did boil a few times though

A few pics from 16/02/2013:

9 of the 10 Tigers in attendance - Messrs, Chris Spain, Derek Cooper, Andrew Carter, Graham Vickery, Peter Pescud, Malcolm Sedman, Christian Marshall, Alex Walsh, John Day, Ken Chisholm plus Jayne & Paul Wignall in a Talbot
Paul & Jayne
This Darracq was my 'members choice'
1913 Talbot 25/50hp
Darracqs & Talbots waiting for the off.
The man - Percival Lambert
Ageless aero design!
Tigers viewed from the Members Bar / Verandah (Brooklands Bitter is excellent)

Countless photographs here http://www.photoparazzi.com/p585286982

Graham
STOC Editor