Tiger Values

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Tomaselli

Re: Tiger Values

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm

gvickery wrote:Views?
From what I see in the real world they seem a bit rich, especially as we are seeing the economy soften and 'possibly' fall into a double dip recession. Fiscal and Quantitative easing has seen all asset prices, as a desired consequence, rise in value. Serious collectors cars (£1/2m+) are now seen by investors as 'works of art' and that clearly has a knock on effect on our 'bread and butter' classics.

Though not calling the top of the market, but I do see interest rates lower again next year :shock:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Forgot to say, we saw investors chasing classic car values in the late Eighties - and we all know what happened afterwards.......(after the bubble)

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:05 pm

who asked you :mrgreen:

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 pm

martin172 wrote:Hey, if you don't want to play anymore just say so.
play as long as you like i'm cool

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Im looking at the type of people that would buy a classic. Probably not much different to those 20 years ago but they are a bit older and have more disposable money. Its the older and retired folk that have most of the money.

There are also those that couldnt afford one, but can now. Theres also those that see them as an investment and funds have been allocated purely to buy classics. I understand Tigers are/were the 6th most undervalued British Classic.

People with cash, more demand, some hype, shows like the Goodwood Revival all add up to higher prices.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm

meadowhog wrote:Im looking at the type of people that would buy a classic. Probably not much different to those 20 years ago but they are a bit older and have more disposable money. Its the older and retired folk that have most of the money.

There are also those that couldnt afford one, but can now. Theres also those that see them as an investment and funds have been allocated purely to buy classics. I understand Tigers are/were the 6th most undervalued British Classic.

People with cash, more demand, some hype, shows like the Goodwood Revival all add up to higher prices.
be interested to do a poll on tiger owners ages .there are a lot in there 40s who wouldnt have been born when the tiger came out .

i would sell my mk2 but not the mk1

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:
Well stop throwing your teddy about then.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm

martin172 wrote:
garyv8tiger wrote:
i havnt .you would know if i had . :D

anyway whats a tiger worth with a factory fitted battery box ? must be rare.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:
martin172 wrote:
garyv8tiger wrote:
i havnt .you would know if i had . :D

anyway whats a tiger worth with a factory fitted battery box ? must be rare.

I personally don't have one so I don't know.

Next question. My strong subject is 80s music.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

how did you get it out .an who had a hit with rythm of the night :?:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:32 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:how did you get it out .an who had a hit with rythm of the night :?:
Get what out?

It was Debarge. Not my cuppa though.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 pm

I don't think Tiger values are rising just because of general price inflation in the classic car market. Three other things are at work.

1. It is clear (to me) that investors are coming into the marque which along with trade buyers, itself a new development, is putting pressure under prices.
2. The Tiger has been re-rated by the market and the commentating media; it left behind its 'cafe-racer' image years ago. It is now viewed as a serious sports car far superior to the Austin Healey, yet it still has some way to go to catch up with 'Big Banger' prices which even now are half again more than the Tiger.
3. As mentioned before, the efforts of increasing numbers of rallying, and circuit racing members, especially at premier events here and abroad has lifted the Tiger's image dramatically. And then there is 'Shelby' and the developing wish among folk to bracket the Tiger with that name and with a lot less of the 'poor man's Cobra' label.

Yes as others have said, today's buyers can afford current asking prices and to pay others to service and repair their machines as they want 'drive it today' reliability and a 'bang for their buck' today, not in the future.

Nothing is immune when 'bubbles' burst but I reckon the Tiger is in steadier part of the market than most comparable sports cars. IMHO!!

Graham
STOC Editor

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:42 am

There certainly appears to be more media attention, some very good and some bad. I had the result the other day when I was out 'driving and using' my Tiger and filling up at the petrol station I had a lad come up to me........."Oi mate, is that a real one?"

.....never had that before :?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Tomaselli wrote:There certainly appears to be more media attention, some very good and some bad. I had the result the other day when I was out 'driving and using' my Tiger and filling up at the petrol station I had a lad come up to me........."Oi mate, is that a real one?"

martin gets that alot :mrgreen:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:
Tomaselli wrote:There certainly appears to be more media attention, some very good and some bad. I had the result the other day when I was out 'driving and using' my Tiger and filling up at the petrol station I had a lad come up to me........."Oi mate, is that a real one?"

martin gets that alot :mrgreen:
I'll advise Guinness.