Tiger Values

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Oi Mate is that a real what?

A factory santioned Alpine V8 conversion? A Tiger?

Maybe just the point i have been trying to convey all along.

And how the general public view the Tiger....

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:51 am

Tomaselli wrote:There certainly appears to be more media attention, some very good and some bad. I had the result the other day when I was out 'driving and using' my Tiger and filling up at the petrol station I had a lad come up to me........."Oi mate, is that a real one?"

.....never had that before :?
At least you can confidently say "YES, it is... 100%" Tony. Better than saying quietly, "no it's a re-body, an Alpine replica" :wink:
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 am

Took it with a pinch of salt, as I've also been asked before (from a lad) '"does it float?"

Maybe I should consider a conversion to an amphibious classic :mrgreen:

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Here we go again.....

The point i was trying to make was that the majority of the general public couldn't /wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two cars.

I guess that's why Rootes took the decision to add the side strip's prior to the NY motor show. Simply to try to make a visual difference, however subtle.

Other than there being two exhaust tips and the side strips boths car's DO look exactly the same.

Made even worse when a Tiger's lost it's side strips, looks like an Alpine to me?

Therefore there's little wonder why such a question would be asked is there.

It's a shame Rootes couldn't have stretched the budget to 14" wheels and some more outward trim changes back in the day.

Perhaps then had they done so there wouldn't be this "IS IT REAL" subject today.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Getting this thread back 'on topic' otherwise this whole forum becomes rather repetitive and thus boring, any further views from our worldwide community on current market values, are they still cheap or inflated compared to other classics.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Would be interesting to see or compile a similar table of values for other geographical markets, especially ones with plenty of Tigers being traded to report an 'accurate' market value. Such as, USA, Germany, Oz/NZ and Canada.

I suppose there will be plenty of factors impacting localised prices, and of course any extra costs to buyers, such as import duties, etc.

..... I do remember missing out on a MK2 restoration project in the USA for less than $5,000 in the Eighties. Shipping and import duties would of added another 50%. Wasn't much interest in Tigers in the US then and plenty were being shipped back to the UK, don't see that now :D

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:30 pm

mk2 restorations can be found in the uk if you look hard enough :wink:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 am

Tomaselli wrote:Getting this thread back 'on topic' otherwise this whole forum becomes rather repetitive and thus boring, any further views from our worldwide community on current market values, are they still cheap or inflated compared to other classics.
I haven't really been keeping too much of an eye on Tiger prices here in Australia, but I would be fairly safe in saying that they have remained fairly constant. You could probably pick up a Mk I Tiger in good drivable condition for $40-60,000. The bargains seem to be found State-side though (smuggled out of the US and restored for our driving pleasure). Like any car there will always be the exceptions that attract the high prices, like the Mk II Tiger being advertised at around the $100,00 mark.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE