Rotisserie alternative

Post general questions relating to Tigers
meadowhog

Rotisserie alternative

Post by meadowhog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Heres a link for building a rotisserie

However I found for me a better way was to build 2 frames that bolted at the front to the suspension subframe bolt holes and the at the rear to the shock mounts. The car would sit about 18" off the ground on a rectangular frame with castors. Heres the clever bit, a curved box section (could be straight bits welded togother,radius about 800mm) then swept out and up through the wheel arches allowing the body to roll just over 90 degrees and be stable. There was additional strengthening bars so that when the car is rolled over the it didnt bend the box section. If you can imagine and old fashion sledge, take the runners off enlarge them and fix to your car.

The advantages:
Easier to make than a rotisserie
Bolts onto the parts of car that dont rot-no worries about jacking points
Easier to wheel around
No worries about it rolling back because of centre of gravity
easier to roll-I could do it easily all the way with two fingers
Way less problem with sagging sills bending-fixed closer to middle of car
Small for storage/transport
Doesnt take up additional space in the garage especially if its a short one.
Can be rolled and skidded back to centre of garage

Disadvantage would be not as quick to roll the other way and may get in the way of work being carried out. I would say though I never found these to be an issue.

Dont have any photos and unfortunately I cant remember who I lent them to. Just thought someone might be interested.

65beam

alternative

Post by 65beam » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 am

go to my photobucket site and look at the early on photos of my car. you'll see several photos of the car in a rack that allows it to be held solid yet be rolled 360 degrees without it tipping. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Yep, you got it. Of course the one I made is a quarter the size. Personally I find it was miles better than a rotisserie. Seeing what you had rigged up it could be made part of jig to keep the body square with correct pick up points for say spring hangers etc.

65beam

alternative

Post by 65beam » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:47 am

these belong to the shop that does my work. he built these many years ago.they secure the body by the front crossmember bolts and the top holes for the rear shocks. they are in sections that bolt together.he has square ones and also octagon shape. one person can roll them . there have been many tiger and alpines in them over the years. after removing the car from the rack,he has a unit built to bolt in place of the crossmember and the rear one bolts to the front brackets for the rear springs. these are on wheels so he can roll the body around the shop. these hold the car roughly two feet off the floor.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks 65Beam, going to have a go at that design.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1