Sunbeams on the pre AGM run

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Michael. AF4 is the prototype that had the Jensen 'De-Dion' tube based rear suspension. It was probably fitted in late 1964. An Experimental Report includes this great understatement:

"Adhesion is improved considerably during standing starts in bottom gear. On No: 2 Straight (M.I.R.A.), it was found impossible to spin either of the rear wheels, and it was clear that the suspension was capable of transmitting without wheel spin, greater tractive effort, if available. The car accelerates in a straight line due to the absence of propshaft reaction tending to lift the front wheel"

None of the kit survives on the car but I hold out the hope that it might be re-created some day!!!

Graham

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 am

Graham,

you say none of the kit survives on the car, is there evidence of where/how it was mounted? Are there any pictures/drawings/specs of the jensen IRC install? Did it require major fabrication changes ot the body.. the implication from what i read in your posts is that AF4 exists and that the IRS didnt require major surgery.. so in theory could be installed and removed wihtout much effort.. ?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA