Post general questions relating to Tigers
V8 burble

Original Tiger Tool Roll

Post by V8 burble » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Get your cheque books out for an original Tiger tool roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-TIGER ... 1e6b64b9a0

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Very nice indeed, but as the seller states it's missing the valve tool. I wonder why the sellers friend didn't leave it with the Tiger??
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Considering it was given to him, it looks like he plans to screw every last bit (and more besides) of cash out of it that he can.

Personally, I'd rather have a set of modern tools in the boot that cost a fraction of the price and do the job twice as well.

What's the point in paying a packet for a roll of tools that no one, including yourself is ever going to look at.

Yes, you're right. It's been a bad day.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Good spot.

Despite it being restrictive auction with a 'reserve' I'd imagine it will go for a fair price, I met Thomas from German/Swiss crew at the spares day last year and he mentioned he listed one as a buy it now, as a full genuine set, and it went immediately for $1500 or was it $2k to somebody in Canada. An individual with two MK2 Tigers, so clearly somebody who wanted to complete he's collection. :mrgreen:

My Tiger came with one, but the antiquated tools I wouldn't even use on me kids pedal bikes, so stored it in a safe place over ten years ago ............................. just need to remember where that safe place is :(

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Tomaselli wrote:Good spot.

Despite it being restrictive auction with a 'reserve' I'd imagine it will go for a fair price, I met Thomas from German/Swiss crew at the spares day last year and he mentioned he listed one as a buy it now, as a full genuine set, and it went immediately for $1500 or was it $2k to somebody in Canada. An individual with two MK2 Tigers, so clearly somebody who wanted to complete he's collection. :mrgreen:

My Tiger came with one, but the antiquated tools I wouldn't even use on me kids pedal bikes, so stored it in a safe place over ten years ago ............................. just need to remember where that safe place is :(
I hope you're being more careful with your new book.

It looks like the Ebay toolkit is missing a few tools.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

i got £200 for the plastic tool roll on ebay no tools .might list another soon

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 am

My Tiger came with one, but the antiquated tools I wouldn't even use on me kids pedal bikes, so stored it in a safe place over ten years ago ............................. just need to remember where that safe place is
You didn't lend it to a mate so he could use it for his Alpine, did you :mrgreen:

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 am

I am curious about the missing valve tool. I have the original tool set for my car and I do not recall it ever having such a tool. But of course, there is a lot of of things from 46 years ago that I do not remember all that well. What does it look like?

BTW, The hub cap removal tool in mine is ever so slightly different from the one in the kit for sale. Wider and shorter, but functionally certainly the same. Just a curiosity point.

Gene

65beam

tool kit

Post by 65beam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:56 am

go to the saoca website and there is a section showing the alpine tool kits. i believe the tiger kit had an extra wrench. the tire valve stem removal tool for the later series alpines and for the tiger was a small yellow plastic tool that would be very easy to break so they may have gotten thrown away. this past saturday i was looking at a tool kit that was original to a mk1 tiger bought in 1965 by my body man. it has the wide hub cap remover and no valve stem remover. i have the original tools that were in my series 4 in 1965 and the hub cap tool is a narrow one with a deeper tab on it than what was in his tiger. i also have a couple brass valve stem removers that were in early series alpines.

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:59 am

65beam,

Many thanks for pointing me to the SAOCA site. I found the tech article and pictures. That yellow little plastic tool did look scarily familiar.

I went rummaging through my containers of miscellaneous stuff. Lo and behold, I found it in a baggy of stuff I had cleaned out of my console God knows when! Honestly, I do not ever remember associating it with the tool kit.

Now I am concerned I may have lost one of my wrenches. The SAOCA article shows 5 wrenches but mentions the parts book indicates only 4. Of the five shown, I do not have the 11/16 x 19/32 one. Does anyone else with an original Tiger tool kit have only 4 wrenches and do not have the 11/16 x 19/32 one? I have been feeling so good all these years thinking I had what I thought was an complete, intact tool kit with the Lucas two part feeler gauge so many people seem to not have any more. Did not realize there was that valve tool to be laid out as well. Now am wondering is I am missing a wrench.

Thanks again,

Gene

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 am

Gene

The Tool roll specific to the Tiger can be see here: http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/catswhisk ... oolkit.pdf

Graham
STOC Editor

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the additional info and links. I am relieved to see I have the correct 4 wrenches for my Mark IA, but am now confused by the presence of Grease Gun.

Like the jack brace, it would not fit in the tool roll, so strictly speaking, could not be a part of that "kit". I looked at the TigersUnited article and did not see either item mentioned. But apparently it was supposed to come with the Tigers, as another tool as pictured in the Cat Whiskers article?

As already established, I do not have a perfect memory of things from 46 years ago. But I am pretty sure I did not get one with my new Tiger. Even if I had, where would one use it? I have seen these around and for sale from time to time but always thought they were an Alpine item.

Thanks again,

Gene

PS: Sorry to dwell on the this somewhat inconsequential stuff. Doesn't make me go faster or corner better! But in the interest of "storehouse of knowledge" about our cars is kind of nice to know.

G.P

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:37 pm

There seems to be 2 different kinds of pliers in Alpine/Tiger kits, one type looking a lot more primitive than the other.
I wonder if there was a changeover point or one is correct and one not?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 pm

martin172 wrote:There seems to be 2 different kinds of pliers in Alpine/Tiger kits, one type looking a lot more primitive than the other.
I wonder if there was a changeover point or one is correct and one not?
you will need more than whats in the tool toll if you break down in a tiger :mrgreen:

65beam

tools

Post by 65beam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:50 am

the grease gun was included with the tools of the alpine up to B9101330. after that it was no longer in the kit. for awhile after the owners manual had a note pasted in the owners manual stating that the grease gun was no longer included.