An embarrassing moment with Tiger

Post general questions relating to Tigers
Tomaselli

An embarrassing moment with Tiger

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Just picture it, travelling in 2009 across from France and into Belgium with an eventual destination to the famous Spa Francorchamps F1 race circuit to watch the Spa 6hrs for the weekend. Mid-afternoon on the Friday and the pressure was on to get to the hotel before it became too dark and more importantly, loose any drinking time at the bar.

So with the confidence of a Sat-Nav unit (preloaded in those days on a mobile phone!) I convinced the half a dozen Tigers in the party that we should stick to the 'scenic' route and shy away from the monotonous toll roads that are motorways and stay with the wonderful and uncrowded designated Route Nationale or “N” roads through into Belgium.

Being reliant on the Sat-Nav on thus not knowing exactly where in the Europe we were, I navigated my driver through the country lanes until they got narrower and narrower - and you guessed it we finally came to an embarrassing end of the road on a cobbled pathway leading into a French field in the middle of nowhere!!

How embrassed was I.......... :mrgreen:

.......what's your embarassing moment in the Tiger?

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 am

correction....2007.

Doesn't time fly :shock: and that pic was taken after the numerous point turn to face back the way we came..... :roll:

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I was on a trip to Spa once, when 1 member led a group of cars into a field. What an idiot. I was so embarassed to admit that I knew him!! Luckily now he is at the back of the convoy, as he struggles to keep up. Think he comes from "up North" so roads are a novelty to him.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 am

Tony,

You were not lost, you just found a perfect location for a lovely tiger portrait.. well done on your location scouting! :lol:
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 am

what's your embarassing moment in the Tiger?
I suppose it was when I was taking my wife for a ride in it when we first got it going. I went around a corner a little quickly and the car got what I would liken to tank slap on a motorbike and the drivers door opened :oops: .

Now we know why.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:08 am

You guys should come on some of the escape club runs. It wouldn't be an escape run without having to double back somewhere and we have directions printed out. :oops: We all know what is like to turn a Tiger around on a narrow road. Maybe I will have to practice flick turns. :lol:
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm

Ok then, I'll open myself to ridicule (...again...) and offer this clip, with thanks to Bob Keen video productions.

Midway through the 2002 season and I am in with a chance of a trophy in the John Taylor Handicap Championship. Every place counts. The championship is open to all comers, old and new, except single-seaters, and the handicap system attempts to ensure that we all cross the line roughly at the same time.

Last corner of the race on June 1st, and a gaggle of plastic roller skates laps me just before the 80mph Paddock Bend. The final one loses it right in front of me, and I have to slow up to avoid him. My car is relatively standard, so what happens when you lift off in the middle of a high speed corner in a fully loaded Tiger ? Yes indeed....Now at the time, the engine would not idle when warm, so I knew it would be dead by the time I stopped, and take aeons to restart. Only way to get across the line was to preserve what momentum I had. Once the car was going in the right direction again, I simply guided it across the line whilst presenting the smallest target to following cars. If you listen closely you can hear the commentator p*ssing himself laughing, and he never let me forget it...Note the fabulous avoidance by Robert Fenn in the Clio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQb1lbly ... e=youtu.be

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Far from an embarrassing moment I would say. Maybe for the guy in front of you that spun. I for one think your recovery was rather inspired. You wasted no time getting round forward again and further disrupting traffic behind in the process. Finishing backwards shows great instincts and presence of mind. Rather well done I say!

Gene

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Not embarrassing, I agree that it was well saved and good reactions to go over the line backwards. Not on video but I have spun on that very corner while taking part in a sprint although not in a Tiger.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 am

Love it 8) :mrgreen:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Finishing a race going backwards deserves a prize, and for going public with it :D