TAC - Tiger/Alpine re-shelling discussion thread.

Post general questions relating to Tigers
meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue May 22, 2012 6:30 pm

dude234 wrote:"

I have no idea of what you are trying to say. I guess to you it is okay to rebadge Alpines as Tigers but there are some people who may disagree.
Obviously you have no idea what I'm trying to say, or youre just a wind up merchant.

Let me remind you this thread is about the acceptability of using a Rootes shell that was badged an Alpine and then later using it to reshell a Tiger.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:I was refering to Akermans Angle from OZ, anyone would think the cars orininated from there, 100% Complete joke all of this.

Amazingly the poll is 50/50? and i completely refuse to be spoken down to and told what to do with "Our car" by a bunch of red neck pilgrims from another continenent.

You lot do whatever but it will have absolutely zero affect on what happens here in the UK None what so ever. :mrgreen:

Why on earth i've continued to post again on this nonesense subject is behond me, i really can no longer can be bothered to waste my time on those who are clearly morons.

Who's up next i wonder?
I'll tell you why, you know what your talking about and you care. Never say never. :)

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 pm

I see my posts have been taken down again :?:

Hardly demorcratic is it.......

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 pm

To whomever. Just cannot have gross insults flung about on this forum, nor PM's used to convey insults else face being dumped from the forum!!

I have deleted 6 posts this evening.

Graham
STOC Editor

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue May 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Graham,

Correct me if i'm wrong but last time i checked this is a UK forum? Discussing a UK built car in a UK factory? in the UK? Correct?

What i take exception to is NON UK residents talking down too and telling US in the UK what can and cannot be done to a UK built car?

The Tiger although designed for the U S market does not belong to them, or to any other continent for that matter. It's our's.

Surely OUR view's and opinions must come first? Are/have the "NON UK" resident members been allowed to vote on our "UK STOC" voting thread? If so that's more than a little biased towards the "NO" surely? :?:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 am

RRT,

It never seems to end with you does it. Take some time and look at a few other forums besides the STOC forum and you will see there are many nationalities contributing to the thread. Even take some time to look at the member list of the STOC forum. Your comments are very disappointing but not unexpected.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed May 23, 2012 8:32 am

Talking down again Robin?

Carry on there fella......

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed May 23, 2012 9:27 am

Red Race Tiger wrote:Talking down again Robin?

Carry on there fella......
:?:
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

65beam

rebody

Post by 65beam » Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 pm

i have never gotten an answer to my question. if the tiger body is not a modified alpine body then why does it retain the alpine spare tire well,the alpine transmission crossmember mounts, the alpine voltage regulator brackets, the remains of a modified alpine floor,an alpine X frame with the pass thru for the alpine exhaust, etc? the list goes on and on. rootes was sending incomplete bodies (250 ) out for conversion long before the tiger so what do we call those 250 cars if rebodied. i know i have seen some of them rebodied and sold to folks outside the states and they never seem to start a conflict like a mention of a rebody of a tiger. why all the temper tantrums over a rebody of a tiger or an alpine 260??????????

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 pm

65 Beam,

Exactly, constructive and good points raised.....we needed more of these instead of blinkered attitudes.

gtsmrt

Re: rebody

Post by gtsmrt » Wed May 23, 2012 11:13 pm

65beam wrote:i have never gotten an answer to my question. if the tiger body is not a modified alpine body then why does it retain the alpine spare tire well,the alpine transmission crossmember mounts, the alpine voltage regulator brackets, the remains of a modified alpine floor,an alpine X frame with the pass thru for the alpine exhaust, etc? the list goes on and on. rootes was sending incomplete bodies (250 ) out for conversion long before the tiger so what do we call those 250 cars if rebodied. i know i have seen some of them rebodied and sold to folks outside the states and they never seem to start a conflict like a mention of a rebody of a tiger. why all the temper tantrums over a rebody of a tiger or an alpine 260??????????
If you care to read what we have been discussing over the last forty odd pages, you will get your answer. We ALL know where the Tiger derived from, but the key is that all those bodies that were sent to be Tiger's way back then were Rootes authorised!!
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't recall anyone saying the Tiger body is a not derived from the Alpine body. Of course the 'Tiger' started out under the same tooling and presses as the Alpine but it parted ways with the Alpine in the Pressed Steel factory and two differing designated vehicle bodies came out of the gates; the Alpine bodies going to Ryton and the Alpine 260 bodies going to Jensen. Surely these summary facts are indisputable? Does anyone not agree that two 'type approval' vehicles left Pressed Steel?

Are there some folk who believe Pressed Steel trucked over Alpine bodies to Jensen, if that is the case I'd be happy to help clear up that misunderstanding.

The fact that common metal was used in the fabrication of both vehicles, is not questioned or doubted by me but I'm afraid that myth has crept into 65beam's last post. The only bodies that Rootes sent to Jensen were a dozen Alpines intended for development purposes prior to production.

Graham
STOC Editor

Warren

Hollywood Starlet

Post by Warren » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Like a Tiger how much is real and how much is nip tuck, and god forbid tuck and roll.

Disclose what you are trying to sell. In the CAT forum there is a nice link to a UK comedy about a broom "why I have had this same broom for 17 years" Funny stuff much funnier than the grandpa's axe,that has had 3 head replaced and 5 handles.

I have seen cars go down under and get a non removable state issued tag above their Rootes vin tag. In California and other states a state issued tag would be a help albeit an ugly wart of a tag.

Having such a ID would help prevent a re body and make it more difficult to convince a DMV employee that the car is legit and just off record.
In that vein scuttlebutt has it that California will not let vehicles drop off their system after 4 years anymore. Too bad they do that as they were loosing money on unpaid fees.

You lads there in the UK do well by having a plate number stay with a car all its life, but mark every part with the vin.
I first did that after I walked out to my 64 VW and someone midnight auto parted the complete headlight buckets.

The car was later stolen and made its way home in part due to the number being engraved in plain sight.

The real question is are all those replicant Cobras and 1930 is Fords et al made from 100% new parts damaging to the value of the real cars?
And do you see them sold as the Real Mc Coy?

gtsmrt

Re: Hollywood Starlet

Post by gtsmrt » Thu May 24, 2012 2:16 am

Warren Goodman wrote:Like a Tiger how much is real and how much is nip tuck, and god forbid tuck and roll.

Disclose what you are trying to sell. In the CAT forum there is a nice link to a UK comedy about a broom "why I have had this same broom for 17 years" Funny stuff much funnier than the grandpa's axe,that has had 3 head replaced and 5 handles.

I have seen cars go down under and get a non removable state issued tag above their Rootes vin tag. In California and other states a state issued tag would be a help albeit an ugly wart of a tag.

Having such a ID would help prevent a re body and make it more difficult to convince a DMV employee that the car is legit and just off record.
In that vein scuttlebutt has it that California will not let vehicles drop off their system after 4 years anymore. Too bad they do that as they were loosing money on unpaid fees.

You lads there in the UK do well by having a plate number stay with a car all its life, but mark every part with the vin.
I first did that after I walked out to my 64 VW and someone midnight auto parted the complete headlight buckets.

The car was later stolen and made its way home in part due to the number being engraved in plain sight.

The real question is are all those replicant Cobras and 1930 is Fords et al made from 100% new parts damaging to the value of the real cars?
And do you see them sold as the Real Mc Coy?
Hi Warren,

If only people could disclose what it actually is instead of what it's trying to be and this discussion would be finished. There have been points raised about some sort of ID tag to show people it is a replica, but somehow I don't think it will see the light of day. To your question, yes, the people selling them seem to have no issue putting the word "replica" in front of them when selling them. I don't understand why the word replica or similar is taboo to some.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

65beam

rebody

Post by 65beam » Thu May 24, 2012 4:24 am

graham,
what panels did pressed steel leave off the bodies prior to being shipped to jenson? i know the MK2 did not have the opening for the battery so maybe that was done at pressed steel but i have seen many tiger bodies in a bare metal state and it appears that there was a lot of torch cutting and very poor stick welding done to the bodies. when i look at the drilling done to the voltage regulator mount and usually the captive nut hanging in back i have to ask if jenson did this work or was it poorly done by pressed steel. who cut the alpine floor panels and installed the tiger tunnel? it's obvious that there were not two separate floor panels stamped out. did pressed steel only install two of the triangle braces under the bulk head box or did jenson remove the others when they cut the fire wall? who did the fire wall mods? i have seen a few early cars that looked like someone used a large hammer on the fire wall just as was done for the generator. the list goes on. which shop did what? did pressed steel set up a separate line to make mods to a very limited number of bodies or were all mods to the alpine body done by jenson? tooling cost for pressed steel would have been astronomical! i have been buying parts and repairing sunbeams since the mid 60's. i have seen and heard a lot. i have not heard any answers backed up by documentation. where is the documentation showing there were two lines at pressed steel and where is documentation showing what jenson did?