TAC - Tiger/Alpine re-shelling discussion thread.

Post general questions relating to Tigers
garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm

martin172 wrote:
garyv8tiger wrote:i went to see a white tiger a few years ago .was an ok car looked right .until i saw it had a battery box and the fuel pump was inside it .i walked away just incase
I don't blame you.
I wonder what poor soul bought that?
dont know ive not seen it at any shows .cant even remember the reg it was a good 3 years ago .it was on one of the sites like pre loved .

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Just dropping back to one of 'Meadowhogs' posts:

"Should we start a new thread on 'when is Tiger not a Tiger' to split away from acceptability of reshells. To my mind this would discuss the finer points of Jenson built cars, although I do have reservations of giving away too much detail. The problem I have on this thread is a reshell is currently technically illegal, not to mention deceitful and hence this discussion should not really be happening.

Have any TAC inspectors found border line cars that would give a heads up on whats acceptable without giving the game away. That I believe is difficult to answer due to so many variables. Im suprised theres not more input from the USA."

A few cars have had their T.A.C. certification revoked, probably less than a handful. This is to be compared with the latest count of around 870 Tigers that have been authenticated by the T.A.C. programme. Using the current surviving Tiger count of 3926 that makes 22% that have been authenticated so far. 10 of whom are British residents.

Putting my head in the lions mouth, I would ask the Forum "Would you like to see a formal authentication scheme introduced by STOC?" and "Would you seek to have your Tiger formally authenticated were the means to do so made available in the UK?"

Perhaps it is this that should be made a thread in its own right?

Tigers that have received T.A.C. certification can be seen here http://www.home.earthlink.net/~rootes1 ... ortal.htm

Graham
STOC Editor

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 pm

i wouldnt .because i know mine are correct ,but i suppose it would be good revenue for the club .

also there could be people out there who dont know there cars are reshells .why burst there bubble

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:why burst there bubble
So they know what they have, as buyers of the marque going forward are becoming more 'savvy' - and as it should be, now that values of Tigers are fetching serious money :mrgreen:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:39 pm

gvickery wrote:"Would you like to see a formal authentication scheme introduced by STOC?"
Logistics of implementing such a scheme would be interesting.

Who would cover the costs? can the STOC impose a levy to an owner to carry out such an 'authentication'

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

i dont think they fetch serious money if i sold my mk1 it would make about half what its cost, and the mk2 i,m not sure of value as ive never seen a hro sold

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 pm

As with any classic car, they are worth what someone is prepared to pay to get their hands on one.
I don't see any harm in there being a fee for an inspection and as said before, if a TAC can offer assurance to prospective buyers, it can't be a bad thing.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 pm

You have to let an investment grow Gary; you can't 'stag' a restoration inside a couple of years.

As for increasing values. I paid £500 for my first Tiger in 1973. Adjust that for British inflation until 2012 and the figure is £5,200. That Tiger is now worth 400% - 500% more than that today. About the only general investment to have done better than that is Gold and London Houses!!

You couldn't have picked better...... and you don't you want to protect your investment?

Graham
Last edited by gvickery on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rootes1

Post by rootes1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm

gvickery wrote:...snip snip...A few cars have had their T.A.C. certification revoked, probably less than a handful. This is to be compared with the latest count of around 870 Tigers that have been authenticated by the T.A.C. programme. Using the current surviving Tiger count of 3926 that makes 22% that have been authenticated so far. 10 of whom are British residents...snip snip...

Graham
STOC Editor
I thought you could use a bit of clarification about "Voided" TAC certificates. None of those has anything to do with mistaking an Alpine for a Tiger. Most were tied to destroyed stickers during restoration. The fragile body applique will not survive an acid bath. Sadly, we also lost a couple due to fire.
Norman Miller
rootes1@earthlink.net

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Tomaselli wrote:
gvickery wrote:"Would you like to see a formal authentication scheme introduced by STOC?"
Logistics of implementing such a scheme would be interesting.

Who would cover the costs? can the STOC impose a levy to an owner to carry out such an 'authentication'
I imagine it would be similar to the USA system.

It seems those that have been caught out didnt do their homework and future buyers (who would be protected) would probably not ask for TAC certification, that is until a critical mass has been aquired.

Giving certain info for owners to check their own cars would be a starter. Such as 'is it gas welded' as has just been confirmed, instead of TIG or MIG or braze.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 am

the other problem with a tac style scheme is you can bet your life they would be done down south .it would probably cost £200 in fuel before you start .i cant see it catching on unles you where trying to sell a car .

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 am

garyv8tiger wrote:also there could be people out there who dont know there cars are reshells .why burst there bubble
Hi Gary,

If you weren't sure about your Tiger, wouldn't you want to know especially if you invested a large amount of money into buying one? If I were one of those owners, I would certainly want to know.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:38 am

gvickery wrote:You have to let an investment grow Gary; you can't 'stag' a restoration inside a couple of years.

As for increasing values. I paid £500 for my first Tiger in 1973. Adjust that for British inflation until 2012 and the figure is £5,200. That Tiger is now worth 400% - 500% more than that today. About the only general investment to have done better than that is Gold and London Houses!!

You couldn't have picked better...... and you don't you want to protect your investment?

Graham
thats 40 year it costs about 5k a year to keep one working :mrgreen: i,ll be in negative equity .better sell the mk2 before i lose any more

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 am

gtsmrt wrote:
garyv8tiger wrote:also there could be people out there who dont know there cars are reshells .why burst there bubble
Hi Gary,

If you weren't sure about your Tiger, wouldn't you want to know especially if you invested a large amount of money into buying one? If I were one of those owners, I would certainly want to know.

Regards, Robin.
and what would they do about it after they had already bought it.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 am

Tomaselli wrote:Who would cover the costs? can the STOC impose a levy to an owner to carry out such an 'authentication'
Hi Tony,

I don't see it as too much of an issue to implement and if you don't like the system, don't get it done. The other issue would be to find the right inspectors to carry it out. From what I believe, there is an administration fee for the inspection paid for by the owner, but not sure how much. Most of the time inspections seem to be organised around major national events where there are normally a few inspectors attending.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE