TAC - Tiger/Alpine re-shelling discussion thread.

Post general questions relating to Tigers
garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:45 pm

I agree in some ways .but i think its up to the purhaser to do there homework.is there an aussie forum ?

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 pm

I attempted to ask for interest in forming an aussie forum last year, or maybe the previous one. I sent emails to contacts in the various state clubs. The result was I was told to back off and don't continue my efforts. So I visit the British and US Forums for information.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 pm

we could have an oz tiger thread :mrgreen:

wasnt sure if there was an aussie one .ive never seen one .

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Agreed Gary, sober advice. Then buyers get close to that Tiger listening to that exhaust or may be put their foot in it on a text drive, or may be get to do both, what happens next?

You are never too old to do what you shouldn't!

BTW the forum is open to everybody who has something to say about the Tiger - so long as it's constructive.

Graham
STOC Editor

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 am

That's what happened to me.

I really only went to have a look, liked it, engine started, loved it, went for a test drive adored it.
Before I knew it "I'll have it" was leaving my lips.

Having a TAC on a car would be like having a Kite Mark on a product.
You can go and look at a car without having suspicion as your default setting.I wonder how many Tiger owners there are out there that have a certain amount of suspicion about their own car?
I read on here people touch on this very thing.

Edited for speling.
Last edited by martin172 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Can somone tell me, which part of the Tiger shell did Jenson build, as it seems to me, from the photo's in cat's whiskers 86, body in white, all the mod's were carried out by pressed steel company. The same place as the Alpine. So the argument if it was not done by Jenson it's not a Tiger, does'nt really wash.

Happy Tigering Harry

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:38 pm

I have just re read the article, was the shell returned for photo's, or was the work carried out at pressed steel ?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 pm

martin172 wrote:That's what happened to me.

I really only went to have a look, liked it, engine started, loved it, went for a test drive adored it.

You can go and look at a car without having suspicion as your default setting.
I wonder how many Tiger owners there are out there that have a certai amount of suspicion about their own car?
when you say it happened to you do you mean you bought a reshell?

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:31 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:
martin172 wrote:That's what happened to me.

You can go and look at a car without having suspicion as your default setting.
I wonder how many Tiger owners there are out there that have a certai amount of suspicion about their own car?
when you say it happened to you do you mean you bought a reshell?
I hope not.

tigerman7347

Reshells

Post by tigerman7347 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:57 pm

When I was looking for a Tiger 6 years ago, I nearly purchased an Alger. The guy insisted it was a Tiger, but a phone call to Brian Postle steered me away from the car. As a previous member of the club I was advised to check ,body and Jal numbers as there were a lot of "Reshells" out there. I really feel sorry for those who have spent all that money on a car that is not what it supposed to be.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 pm

It is a scary thought, I suppose there are many like me also. I bought both of my Tigers (many years ago) without getting them 'checked out first' - don't think I knew how to then, or who to ask. Would be good to get them verified to know they are original, suppose many folk on here (and lurkers) are thinking it would be good to get their cars authenticated. - or dare they.... :shock: :shock:

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:45 pm

i went to see a white tiger a few years ago .was an ok car looked right .until i saw it had a battery box and the fuel pump was inside it .i walked away just incase

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Tomaselli wrote:It is a scary thought, I suppose there are many like me also. I bought both of my Tigers (many years ago) without getting them 'checked out first' - don't think I knew how to then, or who to ask. Would be good to get them verified to know they are original, suppose many folk on here (and lurkers) are thinking it would be good to get their cars authenticated. - or dare they.... :shock: :shock:
theres more work to copy a mk2 look at the bit where the battery tray was .its a proper panel not a hole as on a tiger

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:i went to see a white tiger a few years ago .was an ok car looked right .until i saw it had a battery box and the fuel pump was inside it .i walked away just incase
I don't blame you.
I wonder what poor soul bought that?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Harry, I don't want to write the next Cats Whiskers article here or get sucked in to 'who did what' disclosures but what can be said (after also consulting others who know better than me) about the '"Body in White" Pressed Steel photos is:

1. They are very early, pre-production, when demarcation between Pressed Steel and Jensen was being worked out. Whilst the photos were taken to show how the Tiger shell differed from the Alpine SIV, that body was there for torsional rigidity testing.

2. The Tiger work done at Pressed Steel at that time (around March '64) was probably carried out by Jensen fitters bussed over or just possibly by Pressed Steel fitters using Jensen drawings and components sent over to Cowley. Pressed Steel wouldn't have had the jigs & tooling built by Jensen, so the metal fabrications for the Tiger must have been delivered by Jensen. Consensus opinion to-date says this bare metal body could not have been transported to Jensen, got worked over and trucked back and still be in that oiled up, surface rust free condition.

Incidentally, the Club has copies of most of the original engineering drawings of the Jensen specifics, even down to gas welding illustrations.
The Club also has some copies of invoicing by Jensen to Rootes for the jigs, tooling, presses, paint booths etc they built.

Enough to assure any of us about the work carried out by and at Jensen.

Graham
STOC Editor