TAC - Tiger/Alpine re-shelling discussion thread.

Post general questions relating to Tigers
martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Bobby,
That's it, if I was looking for an MG my main issue bodywise would be that it was rust free and it's age and originality etc would not bother me.

It wasn't so much of a point but more of a question because I wonder what peoples' views are if a new shell was available?
They would, as I mentioned, have to go through the same manufacturing process. Maybe we could get some ex Jensen workers to make them like Heritage have done with ex MG workers for a bit of extra authenticity. :)

This is the ugly side of classic car values going up.
If they were all worth a tenner, no one would give a damn....but they're not.
There are winners and there are losers.
For this reason I have mixed views on having a TAC in the UK.
If it came into being, it would become an essentail part of getting the best price for your car and inserts another wedge between different Tigers that wouldn't get a pass for various reasons.
This takes us back to my point about Tigers being reshelled in previous decades when opinions on it were different.

Forgive my ramblings.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

It really sounds like us 'save the car' chaps are pretty much agreed on whats accceptable.

The next question for me is what would a newby be willing to pay for a car that has been reshelled. I would have thought that would be partly if not mostly determined by what they thought the resale value would be. This would be influenced by what an authority such as STOC or even a car magazine would value them. In the countries where TAC is implemented the value is related to whether it passes examination.

It seems clear that we are not going to all agree, but assuming 'suffixed categories' (see what I did there?) are agreed on how would we in this country show the greater public that the reshell has a value inline with other Tigers? Where do the mags get their valuations, would STOC put weight behind this?

Robert Diehl

Post by Robert Diehl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:Robert Diehl?

I have absolutey no idea who you are, but you do seem to have access to some really nice historical archive material and you do also seem to be "Gunning" for me somewhat so what exactly is troubling you?

There' no need for personal jibbing so please send me a PM and i'm sure i can put your mind at rest.... :x
There’s much I have no idea about, but knowing who I am has never been one of those questions.
Taking things outside… reminds one of Academy days. It’s easy to access “archive material”
when you have an awesome collection like Cats Whiskers.
Bob

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Mal wrote:

Simon, It does still have the spare wheel mount and battery clamp tags there. The sadles have been removed by us to clean up the boot properly but the clips for the jack etc were missing. Which I need to find along with a jack etc. Am I missing something else :?: .

My panel man has smoothed and filled areas in the engine bay where Jenson basicly just cut through and left. He looked at me and said he just couldn't leave them like that. I do have lots of pic's though.
Hi Mal, as mentioned theres no doubting its a Tiger. I was not 100% sure if the floor had been completely cut out and replaced. The issue being without photo evidence the Tiger floor etc if cut out could have been welded into an Alpine

I do enjoy watching your updates and looking at number of views so do a lot of others. Dont stop now! More pictures please.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:53 pm

gtsmrt wrote:Go back and read Michael's post and also maybe read the criteria for TAC on the STOA site. Quite a lot of modification/repairs can be done and still have enough to pass an inspection. As for Mal's Tiger, there is absolutely no disputing what it is... an authentic Tiger!!
Hmmm, its clear you havent read my post properly!!

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:32 am

A heritage body would certainly take care of a lot of the indecision associated with this post. If only Rootes had built or authorised a number of registered shells to be built. Unfortunately they didn't as many more Tiger's could have been saved without sacrificing Alpine's. Hang on did I say 'saved'... That's right, everyone on this forum wants to see the Tiger continue to be saved and enjoyed. Isn't that what an enthusiast is??
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 am

I propose that we only need two categories, classifications or what ever you wish to label it. It is that simple that anyone can understand and one that the majority of people have followed since they were rolled off the assembly line. Some will know where I am going, but some will shake their heads. Here is my proposal, if it originally rolled off the line as an Alpine, that is what it is and the same goes for the Tiger. An Alpine can't be a Tiger and visa versa. Now how simple is that!!
1 = Alpine.
2 = Tiger.
I'm also happy if Tiger is at position 1.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:19 am

I thought there were plenty of Heritage bodies readily available

Alpines..... :lol:

Bobbybutton

Post by Bobbybutton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Robin

That's so simple it's errrr...... *simple*

You see the world isn't round and things are never black or white (always shades of grey)

That's why this debate has generated 19 pages of comment - a record in the history of this Forum

Many other clubs and custodians of a marque seem to be abe to deal with the concept of re-shelled, recreated, replica, continuation or evocations

Why can't we?

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Not Quite.

One of my other cars is a Triumph Vitesse convertible. It started life off as a saloon, but in 1989 someone removed the rear body from the chassis and bolted on a convertible tub (relatively easy on these). The car is indistinguishable from a genuine convertible apart from the chassis number ending in DL (indicating a saloon) rather than CV (convertible). The car is and always will be a converted saloon. The owners club doesn't turn it's nose up at the car - the conversion is just part of it's history - but the club would certainly have something to say if I removed the chassis number and number plates from a scrap convertible to make my car look like a factory build.

Robin, agree 100%. Left the factory as an Alpine, Alpine ID. Left the factory as a Tiger, Tiger ID.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Im going to revert my Tiger to an Alpine. Do you think they would mind?

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Tim, Did you pay convertible or saloon price for yours?

Robert Diehl

Post by Robert Diehl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:I thought there were plenty of Heritage bodies readily available

Alpines..... :lol:
Here's one needing…‘Heritage’!!!!

Bob

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Wonderful pic! Image

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Naaaaa. Just the usual, wings, inner wings, sills, doors, crucifix, valance, floors, nothing too major. The core of the Tiger is still there.